Magneto Speed V3 or Sporter

elk wallow

Im looking to by one of these and was wandering if it is worth paying double the money for the V3. The attachment mechanism looks different between the two. I'm just looking to get velocity ES and SD. What are the pros and cons of each model.

Thanks, Kevin

Im looking to by one of these and was wandering if it is worth paying double the money for the V3. The attachment mechanism looks different between the two. I'm just looking to get velocity ES and SD. What are the pros and cons of each model.

Thanks, Kevin
Kevin,
I own a V3 personally. I shoot a variety of rifles with and without a variety of suppressors and muzzle devices. The V3 more readily lends itself to going from rifle to rifle without concern for muzzle devices getting in the way or suppressor diameter. The V3 has a longer throat on the bayonet and will accept larger diameters than the sporter. Both are accurate and reliable chronographs though. Hope that helps.

Kevin,
I own a V3 personally. I shoot a variety of rifles with and without a variety of suppressors and muzzle devices. The V3 more readily lends itself to going from rifle to rifle without concern for muzzle devices getting in the way or suppressor diameter. The V3 has a longer throat on the bayonet and will accept larger diameters than the sporter. Both are accurate and reliable chronographs though. Hope that helps.

I have the Sporter. Trnelson pretty much covered the difference. If you are big on muzzle things, especially suppressors, get the v3.
If you have a bare muzzle or small muzzle brake, and you are not shooting a bench rest rig with no taper barrel, the Sporter will do just fine.

I will use it on several different rifles. I only have one rifle with a break on it
It's a Sendero 300 RUM with Defensive Edge brake. Don't know if that's considered a small or not.

What is the length from before the first port to end, and is it the same diameter as your barrel?

My brake is slightly larger than my barrel and is about 1 7/8" long. From what I've read the sporter model should work good

Allow me to introduce a point of further clarity for the benifit of the OP... My buddy has a sporter. I have a V3. The only issue that I have seen him run into routinely with the sporter is that the distance between the mount and the bayonet is significantly shorter than the V3. He has trouble properly mounting properly with longer and over-sized muzzle brakes and compensators. If you can remove the brake, or it's of a short enough design your golden with the sporter. The sporter works perfectly fine for muzzle diameters up to ~1", much more and it begins not to be able to be close enough to get consistent readings. We mounted his sporter to his specwar 7.62 suppressor and it actually read two out of five shots, but the displayed velocity of the known ammunition was really wonky.
Hope that helps you in making a good purchase for your shooting needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.