made it to 300, 600 is beating me to pieces.

elkins93

Remington 700 7mm rem mag
Nikon 4x12 bdc
Bipod
Shooting 150 grain winchester ballistic tips.

At 300 im holding about a 3/4-7/8" group, i worked out slowly to 600 and have hit a road block with the factory ammunition and am in need for a adjustable optic with more potential than my nikon but available for around 500-750.

Can anyone suggest a good match grade ammunition or optic?

For an optic I'd suggest looking at the Zeiss Conquest; perhaps a 6.5-20. It's reasonably priced (IMO) and there's enough in types of reticles available to meet most shooter's needs.
I don't shoot factory ammo so I can't help you there. But if your groups are opening up do some analysis on your shooting tecnhiques before you start looking for a problem with equipment.

Does your scope have adjustable parallax?

At 600yds if you don't that can be creating a pretty big error.

The Zeiss Conquest is a good suggestion for a budget optic that will give you much better performance than what you have. I've had four of them from 3.5-10x44, 4.5-14x44, and 6.5-20x50 and all are quality optics.

My Ruger likes Hornaday 162gr sst and the Nosler brand ammo slinging 160gr accubonds. The optic suggestions are right on, maybe check for a gently used optic from friends or fellow members. I've had great luck with Leupold over the years and my dealings with customer service had been excellent. I left the turret caps on the hood of the truck and drove off without grabbing them they sent me a set at no charge. A VX2 in 6-18x40 with adjustable objective can be had in your price range I think mine was $495 on sale. The mid range/quality optics are gettig better every year let us know what you decide, hope the ammo advice helps I've shot from 140gr-170 and the 160-165 are what my rifle slings the best.

It seems unlikely that your ammo, which performs well at 300 yards, would fall apart at 600 yards. Assuming that your problem wasn't caused by wind conditions, I would double check your shooting first. In particular, your target acquisition/sight picture. As range increases, there's a tendency to focus the eye on the target instead of the crosshair. Also, keep your eye centered in the scope, and/or adjust parallax. I would then, as others have suggested, look to the scope. At 600 yards and further I would start thinkingabout exploring either custom grade ammo or hand loading.IMO.

Elkin- the berger bukllets are the most accurate i have tried. to get them in factory ammo look at HSM. what model 700 remington do you have?

Elkin- i am able to find by shopping 6.5-20 leup realitively cheap. 500 to 750 should get you plenty scope . if it were me i would spend 450 on a scope ( bushnell elite 6-24x40 ) and the rest on rcbs rockchucker and dies.

I agree with the previous advice. Several years ago when I first started extending my abilities I ran into a similar road block. I got to the same 600yd mark and things fell apart. My rifle wasn't nearly as accurate at 300yds as yours so hand loading was a must for accuracy sake. The most glaring issue was my optic. I had plenty of internal adjustment and a mil dot reticle for holdover however I had no parallax adjustment. Past the 600 yd mark my groups opened up significantly. I replaced this with an inexpensive bushnell banner 6-24 mil dot with an adjustable objective. I'm not recommending this scope just making a point that a similarly priced optic with the ability to adjust parallax allowed me to go from all over an 18"x24" target at 600 or 700 yds to 5" groups at 750yds. My personal base criteria for a medium to long range scope are as follows: something with at least 10x magnification, finger adjustable turrets, parallax adjustment of some kind, and a hold over reticle. I know everyone has their preference and more is usually better but the combination of these things has allowed me to have lots of fun, ring steel and kill lots of critters over the years with my old factory barreled savage 110 chambered in 30-06. Hope this helps. Have fun with your new equipment whatever you pick!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.