How hard is it to build a rifle by yourself??

If you're talking about buying an action that takes prefits, a stock, trigger, etc and bolting it together, not overly difficult. I built my first last year and waiting on parts for the second (both on big Horn origins). Only thing to remember is that while you can expect plug and play to work, it may not be perfect
ie: the gun will fire but maybe the trigger timing is causing more cock on close than you'd like. I'd you have a decent mechanical skill and don't mind trouble shooting, I'd highly recommend it! I got a lot of satisfaction out of ordering all my parts and piecing my rifle together and when it prints tiny groups it's that much better!

On my second build (a hunting rifle) I'll have to have my origin cut for a Wyatt's extended mag. That's not something I can do myself, but for an hour of shop time the local gunsmith will knock it out for me. It's all about knowing your limits and not being afraid to fiddle.

Read up on how you can easily replace a barrel yourself on a Savage rifle. You can buy actions and barrels separately and assemble yourself. They use a barrel nut that actually makes it easy to install the barrel and adjust to minimum headspace yourself.
Not a savage fan? that's ok. They even have barrel nut systems for remington actions.
Some premium action makes have even gotten onboard. Check out BigHorn actions.
Using these systems you are not beholden to a gunsmith with a lathe. Cost is somewhat lower and turnaround time is usually drastically lower.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am not a machinist, but I do own a metal fabrication company. I was thinking I could take certain parts to a local machinist to thread if I need to. I have already gone crazy on rifles this year, so I will probably start accumulating parts and try a build next year. I have been thinking about getting a hydro dipping setup for some signage that we manufacture. Does anyone know the difference between the durability on a hydro dipped stock compared to a cerakote one?

The actual machine work isn't all that complicated. But access to good accurate equipment would be the problem? But if you round up the parts there is a guy
here in KY that will put it all together for about 700 bucks. He is first rate!

The actual machine work isn't all that complicated. But access to good accurate equipment would be the problem? But if you round up the parts there is a guy
here in KY that will put it all together for about 700 bucks. He is first rate!

$700 is the cost of a complete DIY rifle.

$250 savage 110 action
$300 for a barrel
$150ish Boyd's stock

I didn't even bed the last one and it still shoots .6 MOA. Rings steel all day long at 1000 yards. My daughter has zero misses at 700 and 800 yards.

$700 is the cost of a complete DIY rifle.

$250 savage 110 action
$300 for a barrel
$150ish Boyd's stock

I didn't even bed the last one and it still shoots .6 MOA. Rings steel all day long at 1000 yards. My daughter has zero misses at 700 and 800 yards.
What barrel did you use?

Same as epoxy bedding, you can find this also on the web, do it yourself instructions! It is to help make the rifle more accurate by eliminating movement in the action, or bedded area, the barrel ends up free floated if you desire or you can have the whole action and barrel bedded ! Epoxy or fiberglass is mixed up and spread out at the places that you want to have a solid fit, then the barreled action is set down in it and left there until the bedding material hardens and then the barreled action is removed, most guys I feel like a free floated barrel so that the stock is not touching the barrel anywhere that could possibly cause the guns accuracy to be effected ! Steps need to be taken to insure that the barreled action can be removed after it is bedded in the bedding material ! There are detailed instructions and also what the choices are that most use for the bedding material ! Good luck and enjoy your project !

I am not mechanically inclined. So the thought of purchasing parts and putting a bolt gun together was pretty overwhelming. I figured I would blow myself up for sure. However I have now done 2 remages, 7 savages and I am working on a Bighorn TL3 right now. So it can be done and by someone who isn't the best mechanic. My first rifle didn't come out the way I wanted as I didn't watch it's weight. I wanted a hunting rifle but didn't pay attention to the weight as I bougt parts. The rifle weighs 13 pounds and is very accurate but it's a bench/varmint rifle.
My suggestion to you is look at each parts weight so you don't make that mistake.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.