New to Me 1958 Coltsman

GearJunkie

I received a hand me down rifle this week from my wonderful uncle, a 1958 Coltsman in .300 win mag in excellent shape.
I already own a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 7mm Rem mag. The current scope on the Weatherby is a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5-10X42 mildot. I am thinking of getting a new scope for the Coltsman. I have a Vortex viper HS LR 6-24X50 and vortex precision machined rings in mind.
My reading says that the action is a FN Mauser Model 300 Action[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica].
I am thinking of switching the mount on my 7mm to a Picatinny rail and put the same thing on the Coltsman. This way I will be able to swap the optics back and forth. Curious if anyone has any feedback on what rails to get, or if the Picatinny wont stand up to the .300Win mag.
Also, what is the current type of scope mount in the picture called on this rifle?
This is my first post! yay!

[/FONT]

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 21
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23
It looks like these will fit my needs from the research I have done.

Nightforce
A355 Mauser 98 Large Ring - 1913 Mil-Std - 20 MOA
and A318 Howa 1500 & Wby Vanguard LA 1913 Mil-Std - 20 MOA
Ultralite™ MagMount™ 30 mm tube.

I should still be able to zero rifle at 100 yards with the 20 MOA bases with viper HS LR 6-24x50 because it has Max Elevation Adjustment of 65 MOA?

Are you sure it's a .300 Winchester and not a .300 H&H, the .300 WM was not around in 1958, it was not introduced until 1963. Nice rifle in any event, enjoy it!

Are you sure it's a .300 Winchester and not a .300 H&H, the .300 WM was not around in 1958, it was not introduced until 1963. Nice rifle in any event, enjoy it!
Thanks for pointing that out!
It says .300 magnum on the side I pretty much assumed Win Mag I did not think about the year .300WM was created! I am seeing If I can get original paperwork on the rifle from my uncle.
It was given directly from colt to my Grandfather and engraved to him for doing some work for them.
It mostly sat in a safe, although when my grandfather was alive it sounds like he may have taken some large game with it, possibly in Africa. No one has shot it in a long time.

Beautiful rifle, I was lucky enough to see the Colt exhibit ,in Cody Wy. So many great sporting guns , you truly have a gem . Enjoy.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.