My new to me Mauser 7mm rem mag results

vahena

Hello again everyone,
I am posting the results of my first time shooting the Mauser 3000 L in 7 mm rem mag and I also purchased a Nikon 6 x 24 x 50 scope for it.
It has been along time coming but I moved to NJ and it took that long to join the one and only club in my area.
I bore sighted the scope at home and got to the range , I took my time as it was 95 degrees outside and very humid,I have never shoot a magnum before and was surprised with the recoil, first shot hit paper 2.5" to the left, made an adjustment to the right. Second shot was 1.5 to the left but low, I know it was me getting used to the recoil. third shot was 3/4" to the left but 2" low again I knew it was me, but getting closer to center and made a few clicks right and up.
As I was letting the barrel cool, I was thinking the rifle and scope are doing their job and I needed to relax a bit and control my breathing and such.

Well I took the next three shots and felt good as the trigger pulled, by the way I had checked the pull on the trigger and it is a crisp 2 lbs, perfect, as you can see the 3 shots are a clover leaf, I have not measured but its about 3/8" moa, I was very excited to find that this rifle is as everyone has said, I decided to not do any work on the rifle until I first shot it to see what it could do and it did. I DID NOT MAKE ANY MORE ADJUSTMENT, and took one more shot as it was getting very hot and I was sweating pretty good and as you can see it is to the left by about 1" and a little low, but I know it was me and called it a good day.

I want to thank ever one who responded before and I did listen and you were right, the Mauser 3000 L is a great shooter as it is, from the factory, if I were to do anything to it I believe it would be a break and free floated, as the recoil was a bit much if I am going to shoot it any length of time.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Newbie here on the forum with a question.-ddd.jpg Newbie here on the forum with a question.-fdrf.jpg

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 18
  • fdrf.jpg
    fdrf.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
That's pretty impressive, congratulations! Is that with factory ammo? A Pachmayr decelerator pad and a good muzzle brake would bring the recoil down considerable.

Yes, that is 150 gr. Remmington factory loads, I just started learning about reloading nov 2013 and have not reloaded anything as of yet, I hope to shoot more factory loads to get my brass saved up and also someone local to work with me for starters, until I know what I am doing right or wrong.

What is the option here on the forum, should I free float the stock and barrel? I am a carpenter for the past 46 yrs. so I know I can do the job.
I guess one of the next steps to take is a muzzle break, what are the best type to get and alsoI need a good gunsmith, to make sure that gets done correct.

Nice group.. I don't have much experience with Mauser actions. But every rifle that I have had bedded and free floated has made noticeable improvements in consistent accuracy. As for a muzzle brake I really like Holland QD brakes. They work really well. This will tame that recoil right down.

Yes, that is 150 gr. Remmington factory loads, I just started learning about reloading nov 2013 and have not reloaded anything as of yet, I hope to shoot more factory loads to get my brass saved up and also someone local to work with me for starters, until I know what I am doing right or wrong.

What is the option here on the forum, should I free float the stock and barrel? I am a carpenter for the past 46 yrs. so I know I can do the job.
I guess one of the next steps to take is a muzzle break, what are the best type to get and alsoI need a good gunsmith, to make sure that gets done correct.
If it shoots a 3 shot 'clover leaf' like that, why bother to free float? As for the recoil, I'd have a good pad installed, like the Pachmyr Decelerator, before I went looking for a muzzle break.

Well guys, I did go and install a pachmyr mag. decelerator recoil pad and took it to the range and it really did the trick. I could shoot all day, I hardly felt anything at all and thats with no coat on.
No need for a break and I can keep the rifle stock, except for free floating it.
Thanks for everyones help and advice, it pays to ask questions.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.