Hello from CO. Building my first 7MM Rem Mag

I hate cans and opt for Gentry muzzle breaks instead, reducing the recoil to a 25/06 level, sound thrown forward with forward-slanting ports.

160-168g
69-71.2g of Retumbo, Fed 215
3100 fps with small sub 1/2" groups
I use Remington brass. Starting over, I would use AGD brass as it is very tough brass, and adjust load for different capacities.

68-69g of R#25
Win Mag primer
Tiny groups, and sub 10 fps SD

H4831 is very accurate but slow

61g of IMR 4350 Rem case, Rem 9 1/2 is 3000 fps, and work up to this load

I run standard magnum sporters to #5 contours cuz I alike shooting dot size groups.

The 162g ELDM maybe a better bullet for deer than the X due to expansion.
Yes I'm kind of second guessing the can. It's very bulky and might be a pain to hunt with. I looked up that Gentry muzzle break and it looks like they make a 7mm one. Might give it a shot.

You think the ELDM expands more than the ELDX, or that the ELDX would be too much expansion for a deer? I've never heard of too much expansion.

I just scored a couple lbs of H1000 to test and was thinking of getting some RL22.

ELD X is a much tougher bullet for deer. I shoot the M's. 175 ELDX are elk and bear bullets. The Gentry muzzle breaks are the cat's meow. I have at least 7 types of breaks, and the Gentry is what we hunt with due to how it discharges concussion.

Also, are you aware of the back pressure that the cans put on the bore? This is not much of an issue for a hunting rifle, but you have to sort this out for yourself, we are all different.

Nosler pro shop has 160g Nosler ballistic tips in stock right now!

Also, never underestimate how tough the 150g nosler ballistic tips are, many elk have fallen to them.

You can get a box of both 162's, try them for yourself on game! They may be a very slight seating depth difference between them.

Keith

Last edited:
Besides the powders already mentioned, N560 and IMR7828 are also great powders for the 7RM. Lots of solid bullet options out there for 700 yards and closer. I like the 150 swift scirocco for most anything in those ranges. If the longer stuff is your regular fair, the sleek 160s are a good mix and the 175s will better for minimizing drift. Sounds like a really nice build coming along.
Please keep us posted and show some pics.

Besides the powders already mentioned, N560 and IMR7828 are also great powders for the 7RM. Lots of solid bullet options out there for 700 yards and closer. I like the 150 swift scirocco for most anything in those ranges. If the longer stuff is your regular fair, the sleek 160s are a good mix and the 175s will better for minimizing drift. Sounds like a really nice build coming along.
Please keep us posted and show some pics.
Yes I will definitely post some pictures when it's finished. The gunsmith I'm using is slammed but he thinks he can get it done before hunting season. Gives me some time to load a bunch of different options to test at the firing range.

Just my 2-cents: If you haven't purchased your trigger yet?
For a hunting rifle, I would go with a TriggerTech Special trigger. The trigger you stated you were going to use, have been known to be problematic in some hunting rifles.
I have used other custom triggers and I find I like this one the best.
With the TT triggers I like the "single stage" the best.

Wishing you all the best with your build.

I just picked the rifle up yesterday. Pictures coming soon! Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I'm going to break it in properly. Does anyone have any advice on how to break in?

I plan to do 5 single shots with cleaning in between, 3 sets of 3, 3 sets of 5. I haven't had a chance to load any ammo yet for it so I'll be using factory ammo for this.

there is a node with the 150g swift scirocco, R#25, Winchester magnum primer puts out the accuracy node at 3250 with 9 fps ES, shoots a bug hole! Same load with 150g Nosler BT but different bullet jump, BT likes to be seated .003 off the lands while the swift likes a jump.

Now that you have that gun to shoot. Get a barrel vice, action wrench, and torque wrench if you don't have one then you can order pre-fit barrels and install them yourself.