My first 300 Win Mag!

Yogi

I just bought a preowned rifle and want to get into 300 - 1000 plus yard shooting. Both target and hunting!

It is a Remington 700 BDL in 300 Win Mag.

What are some scope recommendations?
What are some factory round recommendations?
Aside from a muzzle brake (which I do NOT want) any recommendations to curb the recoil? Just take the edge off a bit.

Thanks, all.

Also, forgot to mention my price area in scopes. I know that is v important. around $400.

Also I am interstd in reloading for this caliber and a 243 and a 223. Any reloading gear out there you can point me to, used is a-okay.

Thanks a ton,

Welcome to LRH.

Start by using the search function. This will help you answer most, if not all of your questions...sakofan..Again, welcome.

Sakofan;
Thanks for the welcome and the sage advice. I found the search button and am now in brain overload, but in a good way.... Have the itch to get into LR hunting and target more than ever.

Definitely going to the range tomorrow armed with some new rounds and new info...

I'm glad you found the info worthwhile.
You would be hard pressed to find a more informative or friendly website on the net than LRH.com.
I know Ive learned a lot here and continue to do so.

I feel you can cover a lot of ground using the search function.

Scopes in the $400 range?
I like the Nikon Monarch, Sightron, Bushnell 4200 Elite and while Ive never seen one up close, the Super Sniper seems to be a favorite of LR shooters.

Reloading equipment:
RCBS Rockchuker Kit is a great choice of reloading equipment. It gives you all the necessary goodies to get started. MidwayUSA.com carries it I'm sure.

Rem. BDL .300 win mag:
Great choice of rifle!! A personal fav of mine and a lot of other guys here. Tons of info here as well.

Factory ammo:
?????? I don't use factory ammo much, so I can't comment. Black Hills??

Recoil reduction:
I have never tried it, but friends use a Rem. Limb Saver and seem to like it. I think it messes with the length of pull too much for me.
I'm a fan of a muzzle brake.
wink.gif

Well, I'm off to let some air out of some whitetails this morning...I hope.
grin.gif

Let us know how your range session goes...sakofan.......

Thanks for the info. Very interesting. Another shooter I respect a great deal on extremeaccuracy.com made several of the same suggestions. Actually I know him personally since he shot at the range I belonged to just before I moved here. I appreciate the RCBS recommendation, and will look into theirs. Scopes, yea that group is the same group I've been considering for the 300WinMag. I have the 4200 Elite in 8x-32x 40MM on my 243, and just bought a Nikon Monarch in 6-20x 50MM, ... and today I an an older Leupold 3-9x 40MM mounted on the 300WM... I did okay, nothing to write home about. It was bone chilling cold, windy and not exactly what I would say the best day to try to see what a gun and shooter could do unless it you want to consider it an extreme sport, as in dealing with tough elements. I made a few 300 yard shots into a 6 inch black target. I know some might say, whoopie whoo, but it was freezing and windy and I alternated between the 243 and the 300WM, actually shot mostly the 243 with 100gr winchester bullets. Impressed me, even in the wind, the 243 did some 200 & 300 yard work that would taken anything with a 4 inch kill zone right down.

I was the only shooter out there. A couple of guys came along took three shots and said, "man, you are crazy! it is too cold and windy out here for human consumption".

It sure was fun though! I had a ball. My fingers are just about coming back to normal... hahahahaha

Thanks again for the recommendations... I definitely want more power scope on the 300 WinMag, 9x in Leupold just isn't enough for me.

Too windy for deer hunting today!!
shocked.gif

I left the woods about 0930, and just went home. Nothing was moving. They went up into those thickets and laid down I guess.

Not as cold here in southern NC as you had in NY, I'm sure.
grin.gif

My wifes from Ft.Covington,NY and it's just unbearable in the winter.
That's 50 miles south of Montreal. I call it "The Tundra".

I love deer hunting, but do enjoy being on a rifle range just as much, maybe more...sakofan..Thanks for the update, and let us know of your progress.
wink.gif

Today felt like being out on the frozen TUNDRA... it was close to 5 degrees F with wind chill.... yea, not want most South Carolinians would want to deal with. (Most Central New Yorkers didn't want to either, just some nut with a 300WinMag and 243 smiling out on the open rifle range! (haha)

By the way, today was my second outing with the 300WinMag. The recoil didn't bother me as much. I know, I hear and read and have come to understand: you have to shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot, and get very familiar with your gun... You can't make decisions too early. It still kicks pretty good but I think I will just keep it as it is. No muzzle brake for me, and I had a limbsaver put on one of my shotguns earlier this year and I agree with you, to me they look unfinished/sloppy and won't get another for rifle or shotgun.

I can't wait to get a nice day and leisurely shoot the 300WinMag and see what I can do at 500 Plus yards.... might have to take a drive down to SC... or wait up here until MAY 2005, maybe............ hahaha

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.