300 win mag ammo?

buckand bull

I have a question for everybody on ammunition. I am shooting a 300 win mag and am looking to start shooting out to 600 yards.I dont reload yet, so I am wondering if I should stick with the hornady superformance 180 grain sst or switch to the HSM Trophy Gold 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail for shooting out to 600 yards?

I will be hunting in Wyoming for antelope this fall, but also will use them for elk, black bear and deer.
Thanks

buckand bull,

600 yards is starting to get out there. At those ranges you will want the most accurate load, with a good bc, and have the bullet construction to do the job once it gets there. When I had a 300wm I also shot the 180grn Hornady sst. I used them for everything from whitetail to elk, my rifle loved them and I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. The sst has a good bc, so if you are getting the accuracy with them now, I think they will be just fine for what you need. Now after saying that, I want to suggest to you, if you plan to take any shots past 300 yards, you seriously consider getting into reloading. It is possible to cut your groups in half, and save up to 50% on the cost of some calibers. You will get to know your rifle better, and you can tailor several loads for your specific needs. I am the biggest advocate for reloading out here. If you need any help getting started just pm me.

you don't saY What rifle and scope. what are your groups at 600 yards now? i would shoot the one that shot the smallest group at distance. usually that will be a stt/balistic tip or a berger or an accubond.

Thanks straightshooter, that helps a lot on the sst issue. I do plan on starting to reload for sure. I agree with you one hundred percent. If just starting out is there like a kit with everything you need to start besides of course bullets, powder, brass etc...??

I heard midway is a good supplier of all reloading equipment.

Thanks in advance

Certainly agree with "straightshooter" on the reloading issue. I've helped several friends get started with reloading and have suggested a book from Sinclair International titled Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook. It's one of the best that I've seen over the years and goes into great, yet easy to understand detail on precision loading. That book and a good reloading manual such as the Nosler will put you well on your way. Good luck and have fun rolling your own.

buckand bull,

Glad to see that you are at least considering the reloading path. First I would suggest checking out youtube, there are some videos that cover basic reloading techniques. The reason I suggest this, is just to take the mystery out of reloading. It really is not that hard to do. Then I would go out and get the book, "The ABC's of reloading." This is a very informative book that covers all reloading very well. You don't have to spend a lot to get going. Right now Midway has the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Aniversary Kit on sale for $89.99. Add a set of Lee Deluxe 3 die set $30.99 for your 300wm. Go to your local reloading supplier for a pound of powder, and primers. Reuse the brass from your factory loads. I will guarantee that you will be able to make ammo more accurate and cheaper. You can get reloading data on many of the reloading sites like Hodgdon, you can buy a reloading manual, or just ask on this site.

Reloading is like shooting, everyone has thier favorite brands and tools. You just have to start to see how serious you want to get. There is always another tool to make your reloads better or to make the process easier and faster, it is all up to you. Warning, reloading can be just as addicting as the shooting, it is a great hobby! If you get serious about the reloading pm me, I will help you get started, and take you through the process step by step.

Last edited:
buckand bull,

Glad to see that you are at least considering the reloading path. First I would suggest checking out youtube, there are some videos that cover basic reloading techniques. The reason I suggest this, is just to take the mystery out of reloading. It really is not that hard to do. Then I would go out and get the book, "The ABC's of reloading." This is a very informative book that covers all reloading very well. You don't have to spend a lot to get going. Right now Midway has the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Aniversary Kit on sale for $89.99. Add a set of Lee Deluxe 3 die set $30.99 for your 300wm. Go to your local reloading supplier for a pound of powder, and primers. Reuse the brass from your factory loads. I will guarantee that you will be able to make ammo more accurate and cheaper. You can get reloading data on many of the reloading sites like Hodgdon, you can buy a reloading manual, or just ask on this site.

Reloading is like shooting, everyone has thier favorite brands and tools. You just have to start to see how serious you want to get. There is always another tool to make your reloads better or to make the process easier and faster, it is all up to you. Warning, reloading can be just as addicting as the shooting, it is a great hobby! If you get serious about the reloading pm me, I will help you get started, and take you through the process step by step.

Hey straightshooter, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I am totaly looking into it and hope with a litttle tax return I can get started. I appreciate all the help and will take you up on the advice in the future.. I am looking at the hornady starter kit, or the RCBS Starter kit, or the anniversary kit depending on budget, 300 dye, and book like you reccomendlightbulb

Thanks again!!

Just for reference. I found a couple of truths with the 300WM. My ruger is picky. Tried many brands off the shelf, when ever there was a sale, I'd get a couple of boxes to try. Best I could do was 4" groups at 200yds.

At the time I could find 20rds for $12-14 on sale, for junk ammo that shot 6" groups at 200yds. I bought the Lee kit back then. I could load Barnes, on good powder, and fresh primers, on the brass I'd accumulated for less than $14/box, and shoot 1" groups or less at 200yds.

This is all before I joined this site. Now there are quite a few new things I've learned, here that I need to go back and re-do my testing, etc. maybe there is even more accuracy in my picky ruger.

I'm very new to this site but do find the content very worthwhile. I noticed this thread and wanted to resurrect it for my own gain. I enjoy reloading and have done so for a little over a year. I mostly target shoot 200-800 yards, hunting is next. Being accurate at range is where my brother and I have fun, so it's highly important to me to be accurate. I don't like to always buy the beer after a day at the range. Mixing and matching brass, bullets and powder till I come up with something consistent and reproducible is where I aim to be. I've always shot 308 and have it pretty dialed for my 700 and AR10 Platforms, but it's this new 700 chambered in 300 WM that is driving me crazy. I should preface by saying I'm about as impatient as they come and have probably been having fun with my 308's due to sheer luck and finding known good recipes out there. I do take care in building the ammo once I go down that road so I do take a little credit for my accuracy when I find a happy load.

I'm looking for a better starting point on my 300 WMs because where I started is not getting me consistent. I've only been using 190Gr SMK's with either IMR4831, H4350. So far both of my 300WM shooters have been at best inconsistent. Sometimes it will group sub MOA, then it opens way up, all in the same batch of 10 rounds. I use a digital scale and every load is exactly like the first for that batch. I try to remove as many variables as possible. I have to believe these are better than any factory load with the care I put into case prep, bullet quality and powder consistency.

The rifles I have are an XCR Tactical Remington 700 with a 26" barrel as well as Remington's MilSpec 5R barreled 700 also with a 26" barrel. Both have 1:10 twist. I expected both to be tack drivers but to date I'm just frustrated. I completely understand there is no "secret" recipe but I'm looking for someone who maybe has similar rifles and has found something they really like I may be able to investigate. I would very much like to plagiarize the formula! From there I can spend some time developing more exactly for my rifles. Any information would be greatly appreciate:)

I haven't tried these. But, they might be worth a shot....

Products

Bryan Litz is highly respected here. Just google his name and see.

His ammo should be as good as any beginning handloader could produce. The question is simply whether it agrees with your rifle. And, whether it fits your application.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.