Rebarreling my 7mmrem mag to .300 win mag?

pburton

I have an older Remington 700 7mag that I am going to rebarrel. I was considering having it rebarreled to .300 win mag. This may be a stupid question but anything else I need to consider when having this done? Or can I just have a barrel built and a smith install it? I have not spoken to my gunsmith yet about this. Just wanted to get some info from you guys. A friend of mine just told me about a local gunsmith that will blueprint and rebarrel a 700 action for $500. He uses Shilen barrels. Does this sound like a decent deal?

The reason I am thinking about going from a 7mag to a .300mag is because I have two 7mags and want something with a little more punch. What do you think?

I have an older Remington 700 7mag that I am going to rebarrel. I was considering having it rebarreled to .300 win mag. This may be a stupid question but anything else I need to consider when having this done? Or can I just have a barrel built and a smith install it? I have not spoken to my gunsmith yet about this. Just wanted to get some info from you guys. A friend of mine just told me about a local gunsmith that will blueprint and rebarrel a 700 action for $500. He uses Shilen barrels. Does this sound like a decent deal?

The reason I am thinking about going from a 7mag to a .300mag is because I have two 7mags and want something with a little more punch. What do you think?

My smith charges $325 for a blueprint and $275 for a barrel thread and crown. That doesn't include the barrel. Most custom barrels are going to run about $400 or so shipped. find out exactly what is included in a "blue print" from this smith.

other things to consider when building off a 700 action...

Are you going to get a new trigger or have the factory one tuned?

Are you going to get a new one piece bolt?

Are you going to have a mini M16 or Saco style extractor installed?

Are you going to replace the factory recoil lug with a heavy duty recoil lug pinned to the receiver?

Are you going to replace the firing pin assembly with a speed lock assembly or spring?

I did all of the above with my 700 300 Ultra build. Jewel trigger, one piece .704 PTG bolt, Saco extractor, heavy duty recoil lug and PTG speed lock firing pin.

I offset the cost a little by selling the factory bolt.

I appreciate the response. It makes me question even rebarreling this rifle. The only thing that has been done to this rifle is the factory trigger was tuned. I ordered a new stock that should be here shortly and I will have the action bedded. I don't really shoot "long range". 5-600 yards max. And I don't shoot compitition. Just deer, elk and antelope hunting. So is it even worth it?

For 5 - 600 yard shooting/hunting, I would want at least a sub MOA rifle. It doesn't have to be .5 MOA. If your rfiles shoot that well, then you don't "need" to rebarrel yet. That said, when Elk are on the menu, I like a big 30 cal. The 7 RM can get the job done but a 300 mag can get it done better with with more chance of anchoring a bull on the spot.

If you do decide to go ahead with the project, you might consider selling your 700 the way it is and putting the cash toward a full custom build. By the time you pay for blueprinting and upgrades you could use the sale $$$ toward a custom action and come close to breaking even, maybe even be a little ahead.

I like the 300 WSM over the 300 WM, especially if you're only shooting to 600 yds. The WSM case is a little more efficient and with RL17 you can match WM velocities and probably get more barrel life.

i have an older factory 7mm mag (1967) that is very very accurate. how does yours shoot now? do you reload? does it have a brake? what scope? i prefer a different brand barrel than you mentioned. brux, broughton, hart, kreiger others. none of my rem 700s have been blue printed.

My 700 is all factory stock. It is from the early 70's somewhere. It was given to me by my uncle about 6 months ago. It has an approx 20 year old Leupold Vari-X II on it that is clear and seems to work OK. This rifle shoots OK. Right around 1 1/4 " at 100 with factory ammo. The only thing that has been done to this rifle is a trigger job. I just ordered a new B&C Medalist stock for it. I figure with a good stock and bedding the action it should improve accuracy some. I do not reload at this time. It has been something I want to get started with but just haven't.

I looked into the Gunsmith that was offering blueprinting and rebarrel for $500. I spoke to him on the phone. He is a hobby gunsmith that does it only on the weekends for fun. He claims to have rebarreled well over 100 rifles and was willing to give me a list of references. His blueprinting is basically truing the action. I am going to talk to a couple of his references before I decide what I going to do.

Here is a picture of it

Attachments

• Rem700 001.jpg
    Rem700 001.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 41
I too have a early 700 rem 7 mag.(1967) nothing blueprinted, just floated the barrel. If you do reload, work up a good load for it an let it fly or find someone you know that reloads an get them to load for you! If all you are goin to shoot is deer, elk, an antalope 500-600 yards, the ol 7 will do what you want. I'm not saying anything against the 300,( I own one an I like it), if that's all you are doin with it, my two cents is leave it alone an shoot! But if you have your heart set on rebarreling, like roninflag said, there are many good barrels out there, just do some reserch an make your choice! Good Luck Too You!!!!

DT

Thanks for your reply. I think that I have decided not to rebarrel. I am just going to shoot it as it is. I am going to replace the stock and a new scope and see how it does.

I think you will be happy with your choice! It's amazing what a stock change will do with a good bedding job! Just my 2cts!!! Again! Good Shooting an Good Luck!!!!

DT

I have been approached on this a lot by several people wanting more power. I simply hand them all the manufactures sectional density's and ballistic coefficients. Let them search the true velocities that the 7mm and the 300 mags can truly be loaded to. Work the math or have them use the Hornady ballistic computer and see if they really want a 300 whiz bang over a 7mm mag. I was in a sports show in Salt Lake City a few years ago and a well respected rifle and ammo manufacture was there touting there product. They had a graph of the 30-378 loaded to the hilt with a high BC bullet vs the 7mm rem mag loaded with the same manufactures bullet(BERGER). The little 7mm mag had more at longer ranges than the big boomer. Imagine what a 7mmrum could do with a 28 to 32 in barrel with the new heavy 175 gr lrab, 180 Berger or the new 195 gr Berger coming out. If you do the research and want to spend your money wisely on these bullets and calibers I believe there would be more 7mm and 338 shooters out there.

I have been approached on this a lot by several people wanting more power. I simply hand them all the manufactures sectional density's and ballistic coefficients. Let them search the true velocities that the 7mm and the 300 mags can truly be loaded to. Work the math or have them use the Hornady ballistic computer and see if they really want a 300 whiz bang over a 7mm mag. I was in a sports show in Salt Lake City a few years ago and a well respected rifle and ammo manufacture was there touting there product. They had a graph of the 30-378 loaded to the hilt with a high BC bullet vs the 7mm rem mag loaded with the same manufactures bullet(BERGER). The little 7mm mag had more at longer ranges than the big boomer. Imagine what a 7mmrum could do with a 28 to 32 in barrel with the new heavy 175 gr lrab, 180 Berger or the new 195 gr Berger coming out. If you do the research and want to spend your money wisely on these bullets and calibers I believe there would be more 7mm and 338 shooters out there.
I agree 100%. Like I said, a stock change an good bedding job will do wonders also!

With respect to the OP, (I'm not hijacking this tread) Idaho elk hunter, I take my hat off to you!! That was the best answer an replie anybody could give on this subject! I've tried for years to put it into words like that, just never could!! ( I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer)!! Again, pburton! Didn't meen any disrespect!

DT

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.