M1 knobs for hunting

buckbrush

I have a VX-II 6-18x40 I was thinking of using on my 7mm RM hunting rifle to replace the Nikon Buckmaster.

I would like to add knobs to it to replace the factory finger clicks on it now. Do M1's have a tendency to "self adjust" if they are in a pack or are they fairly hard to turn? I have an Eberlestock pack that I use when not on horseback. The way my scabbard is built, I don't think that would give me any issue.

Thanks for any insight.

The M1's are pretty stiff but while carrying mine in the same pack I have had them move. In a scabbard like the ones on a four wheeler I was pulling it out and heard ziiiiiiip! And it was the turret spinning.

Two thing I have done to make this a non issues. Went to the craft store and marked the turret line where my zero is, and also counted how many moa it is tell I hit the bottom of elevation and write it down on my drop chart. This way I always know how to rezero.

I have had to use is the moa technique during a tactical match when I could not remember if i had rezeroed after a stage!

I had them put on a 6.5-20x LR and have not had any issues. But have not had it in a pack for a lot of miles yet. If I had to do it again I would only get the elevation knob as a M1 on a scope for a gun that is going to get put in a pack alot.

Knowing your MOA up to your zero from the bottom is a great way to know for sure in the field.

why don't you look into the custom cds knobs. they have the ranges right on them and are much lower profile than the M1s. right now if you buy a leupold scope that can take the cds knobs, they are give two free custom ones with it for free

Never had an issue with the M1 dials. After I sight the rifle in I always reset the dials to zero. By doing so it only takes a quick glance to see if the dials have moved or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.