Lube in necks

Well, I loaded up my 10 rounds lubed with graphite and have my non-lubed rounds ready to roll

One interesting thing to note is that on graphite lubed necks, the bullet seated 2.795. Non-lubed seated at 2.805. .01 difference. That could actually be significant enough to effect accuracy.

Well, bullets are expensive, so I'm just going to run the test as is.
Couple of things to keep in mind on your test is,try using brass from the same lot and the same amount of firings so the brass hardness will be close to the same so the neck tension will be close to the same.Also use bullets from the same lot.Sometimes the ogive varies from lot to lot and that can change the seating depth a little.

Another thread got me thinking about this. Been reloading 30 years but still learning from the vast expanse of knowledge from guys who also load a lot.

I started cleaning the lube out of the necks after an incident with my 470 NE double when the bullet in the second barrel had moved forward from the recoil of two shots from the first barrel (shoot, reload first barrel, shoot again) It was jammed into the lands. Since I was hunting, this could have been a real problem if I needed the second barrel.

My 375 H&H round has a cannelure, so I suppose I could leave the lube in. But I have had other rounds without a cannelure pushed back in the case from recoil after topping off the mag and shooting a few times.

At what point on the "recoil scale" is lube in the necks a bad idea? 300 win mag and up? 7 mag? A light 30-06?

Curious now what others do.
Perhaps someone has brought it up, have you tried the LEE Factory Crimp Die, with and without cannelures it works great. I'm sure the 470 NE might be special order? but... everything thing else should be orderable. It helps stop bullet setback and bullet jump in the cartridge case. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

It's really not that complicated keep it simple
Think about what the op said why would you lube something that you don't want too move the crimp is going too help the bullet moving issue especially if you hav e a crimp groove , and it will also help if you don't , makes sense too me. I don't leave lube in the neck and now I also crimp , especially after reading Butterbeans post and video on why I crimp .

I just got back from the range. I tested the lubed vs non-lubed. I used graphite on the inside of the necks and on the bullet itself.

I shot Three, 3 shot groups from each batch.

I have concluded that there is no statistically significant difference in the two.

Smallest group - Lubed .370"
Largest group - non lubed 1.19" (I think this was a fluke since this is a pretty accurate load).
Smallest SD - non lubed 4.3
Largest SD - non lubed 36.2

Average velocity was about the same.

Average of group size would probably be a draw if I shot another 5 groups.

I don't see a difference between the two.

I wouldn't think it would affect accuracy all that much, However dipping the the neck in a dry graphite lube is recomended to ease stretching of the neck that can happen from the resize button on the rod, It also stops the resistance and squealing sound. Although according to your post, The lubed necks had a group that was 1/3 the size of your non lubed case necks. Don't know what to make of that. Annealing your case necks will give you better accuracy without a doubt. Also many people don't know that if you can't slide a bullet with little to no resistance into a fired case neck, Then your necks are too tight and either need to be reamed or neck turned.

I would like to add that 10 rounds of each is hardly a scientific finding. If I shot 100 rounds, maybe I'd get a better feel for the difference.

20 rounds total didn't show any significant difference between the two *in this exact load scenario.*

I do believe that lubed is probably better than not lubed. The bullets seated way easier. And with the 140 grain load, it was very accurate when lubed.

I would like to add that 10 rounds of each is hardly a scientific finding. If I shot 100 rounds, maybe I'd get a better feel for the difference.

20 rounds total didn't show any significant difference between the two *in this exact load scenario.*

I do believe that lubed is probably better than not lubed. The bullets seated way easier. And with the 140 grain load, it was very accurate when lubed.
I have reduced run out by not using a expander button reducing too desired neck tension with a bushing die then with a crimp it improves the ES . I run a brush in the neck in and out 1 time no lube . I'm sure there is other was that work but that works for me .( Good shooting)