Lube outside of necks with bushing dies?

Tulsa reiner, it ain't necessarily so, especially if you've ever had the shell hung up on the expander/decapper pin in a 223, sob to remove. I'd rather ponce about with case lub than trying to get a stuck pin out especially as Lee spares are like rocking horse crap in the UK.
I'm sorry, my comment didn't come across correctly. I was not intending to criticize your technique for lubing 223 cases. (To each his own)
I was intending to point out that simpler and faster techniques, as described by several on this thread, are also very effective.

Last edited:
I have seen a few pic's of blown up rifles receivers and the experts said "possible cold weld".
That's my biggest fear!Out of an abundance of caution I lube necks.
Mikecr brought another possibility into the conversation as you don't want the bullet to weld itself into the case but you don't want the bullet to come out all by itself,causing bullet setback under recoil and possible damage to the rifle and you the shooter.
So what is too much?What is safe?
I'm still on the fence and reading every post.
Interesting on cold weld. I have had loaded round for years sitting around unused. Use them and never had a problem with them. Some as old as 5 years.
I know I keep reading about cold weld, and have my concern about it.

Interesting on cold weld. I have had loaded round for years sitting around unused. Use them and never had a problem with them. Some as old as 5 years.
I know I keep reading about cold weld, and have my concern about it.
I have the same concern about some 20 year old hand loads. I thinking I would seat the bullet a little deeper to eliminate any cold weld.
Does this sound logical? (Sorry about the hijack)

I have the same concern about some 20 year old hand loads. I thinking I would seat the bullet a little deeper to eliminate any cold weld.
I do the same thing.
My brother was given some old factory loaded 30-06 ammo.I mean may have been 20-30 years old or older as the boxes had crumbled to dust.
Winchester brass so I chucked them up in the press and pushed them down a little.Some destroyed the brass trying to re-seat them.I feel that was cold weld.I also feel if my brother shot them it may have destroyed his rifle.
Since then I respect cold weld!

It's been my understanding that setting back the bullet a little takes away the problem. It brakes the hold is my understanding.

I might be wrong, but I believe the corrosion born cold welding can be mitigated by keeping ammo dry and above dew point temps.
Then any wet lube inside necks would violate this.

It's been my understanding that setting back the bullet a little takes away the problem. It brakes the hold is my understanding.
We tried and most broke free but at least 10 maybe more as both of us were trying to break the seal.We ruined the brass,it just bent so so badly we could not do anything else,we just dug a 3 feet hole and made a deposit.