Case neck lube

Warrenoliver

I'm going to try dry case neck lube since I notice differing seating pressure when seating bullets. When using lube with a single stage press, does one lube the primed case prior to setting in the tray for powder loading? It seems to me that the lube would get mixed in with the powder as I pour it through the funnel, or doesn't that matter? Am I better off lubing the bullet base instead?

Thanks

Warrenoliver

Powder contains graphite, so the small amount in the neck won't effect the powder charge. Especially if you stay consistent with your application process on each case. Be mindful, but don't over think it.

The Redding Imperial Neck Lube is awesome as is the sizing wax!

Steve

I use powdered graphite for case neck lube when sizing from a small caliber say 300RUM to say 375 RUM. Works great. Just dip the neck in the graphite, tap it to knock off the extra and size. The die gets coated so I use the lube on every third case. The feel of the die will tell you if more lube is needed. I use Dextron transmission fluid on my lube pad for the outside of the case. Works great and a quart will last a 1,000 years!

I use graphite powder to lube the inside of the necks.I screwed a cotton bore mop to a RCBS handleThis is my setup.The issue you are seeing could also be some of your brass has hardened.New brass starts out soft.After it's fired and resized a few times it gets harder.I usually notice this after four or five shots.You can anneal the brass to soften it and help with the different neck tensions.Some people do this after every firing.The best thing you can do is keep your brass segregated by the number of times it has been fired.With a Sharpie,I write the bullet weight,load,sometimes length and the number of times fired on my cases,it helps to keep track of what it is.
20170310_072559_HDR_resized.jpg
20170310_074318_HDR_resized.jpg

Warren, I like powered graphite applied inside case neck! Been doing it that way for years, and seems to have worked for me. I think many powders have graphite involved in the manufacturing process.....I may be wrong! memtb

When necessary, I use the graphite lube and have never had an issue when the graphite mixes with the powder. No increase in pressure signs, not any difference in groups
I dip cases in the Imperial Dry Lube (graphite powder and ceramic applicator granules) before I shove my expander die into them. I also dip base of bullet projectiles before I insert them into necks
Have you had any issues with the graphite powder on the outside of the cases such as scratching the brass?

Warren, I like powered graphite applied inside case neck! Been doing it that way for years, and seems to have worked for me. I think many powders have graphite involved in the manufacturing process.....I may be wrong! memtb

You are correct. The grey dust that coats your fingers after handling smokeless powder is indeed graphite. It is added to improve handling characteristics/reduce clumping. I can't find the information at present but I did read a document prepared by Alliant that mentions adding powdered graphite to powder containers if clumping of kernels is an issue. They even suggested a quantity which was on the order of 1/4tsp/lb IIRC. The small amount inside the case after dipping/swabbing necks is of no consequence. I have lubed with Imperial graphite using the ceramic ball kit. I have also lubed necks prior to mandrel expanding by dipping the neck in Hornady 1 shot (sprayed in a small cap to pool the liquid). I wipe the lube off the neck exterior but leave it in the interior as a seating lube. It is lanolin and does not affect combustion at all. It is my preferred neck lube for competition rounds as I can feel/read seating pressures better than with graphite lube but for hunting rounds I use graphite.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.