case lube

257Wthrby

My first post here, seems to be alot of knowledge on this forum, so here goes. If I use lee case lube on my 257 weatherby cases they chamber fine but if I use hornady case lube they wont chamber at all, cant close the bolt if you wanted to. Any ideas? It also isnt as smooth running it through the dies with the hornady.

My first post here, seems to be alot of knowledge on this forum, so here goes. If I use lee case lube on my 257 weatherby cases they chamber fine but if I use hornady case lube they wont chamber at all, cant close the bolt if you wanted to. Any ideas? It also isnt as smooth running it through the dies with the hornady.
I they are fireformed cases from the same rifle its probably not a sizing issue it might be to much lube on your cases did you clean them after you loaded them,clean your chamber also for it might have some residual lube in there from your cases. If that don't work then I'm stumped...

Maybe not the lubes. Could it be the die? Did you change die settings before using each lube? Also maybe it is neck length. Did you trim the cases each time? Bullet seating depth different?

Also, I do not put lube on the shoulder itself. Did you put lube on the shoulder with one brand lube and not the other?

No changes in the die setting, just thought I would try the hornady lube. But none of them would chamber so rubbed them down with my usual lee lube and they all chamber fine. I didnt seat the bullets before I tried so its not the seating depth. Strange but I guess I will stay with the lee, the hornady wasn't as smooth going through the die either, seemed like I really had to work the handle to get it to work, the lee lube slid right up, no problem. Maybe I need to spray more of the hornady.?

Interesting. Go with what works for sure. :)

I do not use spray lube. I use Redding Imperial Sizing Die Wax and Dry Neck Lube. Check it out if you get a chance. It is very consistent for me and last a long long time.

Measure the case length, Run through the Resize die then measure again. It may be the case is shoved so hard into the die, The die is holding the case so tight it is stretching the case before the case releases from the die coming out. If you can lube it with Lee lube and then it will chamber something strange is happening and it needs to be looked into. Good Luck in finding a solution.

Inserting case or extracting? It is also possible that pulling the expander out of the neck of the case is changing dimensions.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.