Case lube removal

I would suggest starting at the minimum powder load, and SAAMI length.

A few things. Powder charge had been mentioned a few times so will leave that alone.

The second is seating depth. If you are trying to be at the lands or just off, you do create more space in the case. Excess space can cause pressure problem too. Also, it's not an absolute to fill the case but with some powders you have extra space too.

Another thing is temperature. Being summer, if it's a recent issue and depending on type of powder, the powder used could be having some temperature sensitivity issues.

I would also check the neck size after sizing. If it's too tight, could be another place to check.

I wails start at the bottom of the load chart, check SAAMI measurements on everything and work up from there.

You also mention its reloads. If you go grab a box of shelf ammo and it doesn't do it, it would rule out the rifle. The rifle is the least likely culprit IMO.

Whoa, wait!! Been there done that.

I purchased a ten year old never fired .375H&H. Weatherby. Back in December 21. No matter what powder I used, nor bullet, I had problems with extraction. I'm talking starting loads with three powders and four bullets. I took it to a Weatherby service center in middle Tennessee. They cleared a Go/ No-Go gauge, fired a factory round and said, "It's fine." Sent it to Weatherby in Sheridan, WYO. They did exactly the same thing. "It's fine."

It wasn't fine. I could not fire a reload, period. Didn't matter if it was a reload from a factory load fired in this rifle or from another rifle. Not a situation you wanted if you're hunting game that required a .375 to begin with. I finally I bit the bullet and had it re-chambered to .375 Weatherby Magnum. Poof! Different rifle. I can fire form .375 H&H to .375 Wby with no problem or fire loads from .375 Wby brass. And I'm talking toasty loads pushing a 250 grain bullet to 2975 fps. Weatherby factory ammo is crazy expensive, but no matter.

Bottom line; this rifle had an absolute minimum size chamber. That meant factory ammo, which is made to SAAMI minimum size, was all that it would reliably shoot. It's not case lube, and unlikely to be a rough chamber. The chamber is just too tight. Remedy? Either just shoot factory ammo or have it re-chambered to the same cartridge (and hope it too isn't too small again) or re-chamber it to a different or improved cartridge.

I loved the rifle and spent many dollars and hours anguishing over my problem child. Now I am very pleased.

Trent

CFE223 79.0 3.615.jpg
Wby Mag.jpg

What cartridge? What powder? What bullet? What primer?

I jumped on the 6.5 CM wagon years ago. He did a year ago. No CM jokes please. I've avoided the subject so far. I load 140 eldm, 41.0 gr H4350 for about 2780 fps. He always loads less than 40 with chrony readings that correspond for bullets in the 140 gr range. .
He does change bullets constantly and has the tools to measure OG.
Primers? Thats all over the place with with a bunch of those czeck primers thrown in there. Now this is something that only happens once every 25 or 50 rounds and of course we are at the range with limited tools.
Also, he full resizes to a hard break over on the press. Id say pretty close to saami. He then uses a 2635 mandrel.

Dont know why he wont join this club.

Last edited:
Are you sure he is using H4350 and not IMR 4350 or Accurate 4350?
Different bullets can cause different pressures as well. Not all 140 grain bullets have the same bearing surface length.
Is he weighing every charge or just throwing out of a powder measure?

Last edited:
Well, looks like my last idea is probably not correct.
I only got into washing years ago after purchasing some range pickup that had been "cleaned". Outside was shinny but some had red mud on the inside. I've washed, used a blowgun and dried scene then.
Also, I use oil for mandrel sizing.
Can you flesh out that last sentence? What kind of oil and where do you apply it?
Thanks