Case lube removal

pdog shooter

Got a friend that started reloading about a year ago. His goal is long range precision shooting. He's doing pretty good but has one (several) reoccurring problems that I believe related. Hard bolt lift, stuck cases, and blown primers. We have varified powder charges, chamber measurements, die adjustments annealing. trim length, and others that I cant remember right now. Heck, we even changed out the barrel.
There is one subject that keeps coming to mind and thats his method for final case cleaning. He wipes with a rag and assumes that if a sharpie will write on it then its oil free. He says that eric cortina or somebody does it that way. I have had pressure problems in the past due to petterson fat brass but we (long range hunting crew and myself) figured that out pretty quick.
I wash with a strong degreaser and heat gun dry
Would like some input from you guys as for your final cleaning.

I was shown many years ago to lightly wet a piece of "Terry cloth" towel with cigarette lighter fluid and use this to wipe off the cases…..they come out "squeaky clean"!

I also agree with Varmint Hunter….. he has issues beyond a "trace amount" of lube on the cases! memtb

Well, looks like my last idea is probably not correct.
I only got into washing years ago after purchasing some range pickup that had been "cleaned". Outside was shinny but some had red mud on the inside. I've washed, used a blowgun and dried scene then.
Also, I use oil for mandrel sizing.

Got a friend that started reloading about a year ago. His goal is long range precision shooting. He's doing pretty good but has one (several) reoccurring problems that I believe related. Hard bolt lift, stuck cases, and blown primers. We have varified powder charges, chamber measurements, die adjustments annealing. trim length, and others that I cant remember right now. Heck, we even changed out the barrel.
There is one subject that keeps coming to mind and thats his method for final case cleaning. He wipes with a rag and assumes that if a sharpie will write on it then its oil free. He says that eric cortina or somebody does it that way. I have had pressure problems in the past due to petterson fat brass but we (long range hunting crew and myself) figured that out pretty quick.

Obviously, something is being overlooked. Using reasonable charges is easy so it's likely something else. I would triple check all of your measurements, especially case length, neck diameter, and bullet seating depth.

I just had a rifle rebarreled last week. My reloads wouldn't fit in the chamber without difficulty. I started over with factory fresh brass and had the same problem. I double checked the headspace and it was fine. I assumed that there was an issue with neck clearance. It actually felt like the neck was tight when the bolt was 95% closed. I checked & rechecked EVERYTHING. I even called the gunsmith twice.

In the end, I finally figured out that I used an incorrect calculation for determining the maximum CBTO with the bullet I was using. The resistance I was feeling was the bullet jamming into the rifling. Sometimes you just make a mistake and it's hard to find. And ... it's not unusual for someone to NOT SEE their own mistakes.

Your friend needs to enlist the help of an experienced reloader before he goes any farther.

Last edited:
Blown primers! Stuck cases! To much powder, and possible case to long. I have us RCBS Lube for years No problem with it. I use their pad to apply the lube to the case. I put a little on the pad. and spread it out. Roll the case over the pad and making sure I get the neck portion too. Back in the day I used the expander ball too. I would turn the case with the neck to the pad. give it quick turn.

Last edited:
You can't be sure it's not caused by too much powder just because it's below book max. Drop the charge until the problem goes away then back off a little more. On the off chance a thin film of lube puts it over pressure you're way too close to the edge anyway. A temperate swing or a little moisture will push it back over the edge.

To answer your question on lube, 15 minutes or so in a vibratory tumbler with walnut shells will do it. I do that for bottleneck loads done on a progressive press. On a single stage it's easy enough to tumble after sizing.

If he is getting sticky bolt lift, it's not from lube. Have done this myself, and there was no sticky cases until the lube or oil was at the point of saturating the chamber.
Blown primers are a sure sign of excessive pressure, even if the load falls within a loading manual, they are a guide, not gospel.
A stuck case is generally caused by a case that was fired with excessive pressure, then sized, but not enough, and it doesn't spring back like it should.
He needs to look at 2 things, the way he loads and tests those loads, and how he is sizing the brass.
This is not a lube issue, and if continued, undue wear is going to increase on the bolt lugs and bolt recesses.

Cheers.

What type of powder being used and how many grains of powder? What type primers? Is the bullet in the rifle lands? What is your overall case length? (just the case) What is the cartridge? I am with MagnumMania. These other items can casue blown primer too. The other is clean your chamber and look at it closely.