LRI barrel fluting question

I'd call mine something close to a heavy barrel--16.5" long and .885 at muzzle ---- I haven't measured it but it seems to be a slight taper -- I'd guess 1" back by chamber

Yep..told me heavy spiral....looks great..just watch the sharp edges..they will cut ya....I took a sanding pad to mine before having it ceracoated....

I can't say which removes the most weight but I will say they are excellent to deal with and a quick phone call they always answered the phone and always had a great attitude and answered my questions with confidence. I would try calling and asking about your specific situation and what exactly you want done.

I have a MullerWorks 6.5 medium Palma barrel that I bought knowing at finished length it would be heavy. My intent was to have Kampfeld do his twisted wrought iron fluting to cut down the contour.

Barrel is 5lbs currently in its 28" length, would I be better served with the heavy spiral or the wrought iron fluting?

I have a MullerWorks 6.5 medium Palma barrel that I bought knowing at finished length it would be heavy. My intent was to have Kampfeld do his twisted wrought iron fluting to cut down the contour.

Barrel is 5lbs currently in its 28" length, would I be better served with the heavy spiral or the wrought iron fluting?
Lri has wrought iron fluting too-- I love the look but I don't think it cuts as much weight as the "x" deep spiral

I've spent a lot of money at LRI (see profile pic) lol

I'm almost positive Pattern X removes the most weight. I know I saw a post somewhere where Chad got an all steel barrel down to CF weight with that fluting.

t

I've spent a lot of money at LRI (see profile pic) lol

I'm almost positive Pattern X removes the most weight. I know I saw a post somewhere where Chad got an all steel barrel down to CF weight with that fluting.

t
It's on his web page-- knocked off a full pound , it doesn't really say how long or what profile the barrel started with was though.

It ain't cheap though--- looks like barrel fluting is $175--- BUT when you start selecting pattern and length it adds up quick --- pattern X on a bolt action 16" barrel no taper comes out to $500-- with taper is $350 - but it doesn't really define what "taper" means to LRI

An X pattern flute job on a HB 30" rifle would be 7 bills just for fluting. Bit you would definitely have a unique 1 off rifle for sure

Last edited:
Fluting: Loss of metal that controls the movement of the barrel. Not me!
That's why we can all make our own decisions.

I've never seen any proof that fluting causes a change in accuracy.....so let's see if anyone has an accurate barrel that they sent in for fluting that is no longer accurate--- anyone have real world proof? I'm betting there might be a few that have but im also betting a lot that haven't too. I love to see real world results as they help me make decisions for my situation.

I've personally seen some killer accurate rifles with fluted barrels

Some of the most "harmonic free" barrels are "structured barrels" and they use unique structures and "fluting designs" to stop the harmonics of a barrel-- here is a pic of the outside of one of this type of barrel
Screenshot_20221209-082845_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
It's on his web page-- knocked off a full pound , it doesn't really say how long or what profile the barrel started with was though.

It ain't cheap though--- looks like barrel fluting is $175--- BUT when you start selecting pattern and length it adds up quick --- pattern X on a bolt action 16" barrel no taper comes out to $500-- with taper is $350 - but it doesn't really define what "taper" means to LRI

LRI definitely isn't cheap. I recall the first inlet he did for me. Rem700 LALH in a McMillan. He filled the entire stock back up to a "zero" inlet & started over 😅. Measured every dimension of my barreled action, converted it in CAD & re-inletted the stock.

Then we had a chat about pillars & bedding, again, another task they take to another level (& cost). IIRC, bedding was $500.

It's what they do & i'm ok with that.

t

LRI definitely isn't cheap. I recall the first inlet he did for me. Rem700 LALH in a McMillan. He filled the entire stock back up to a "zero" inlet & started over 😅. Measured every dimension of my barreled action, converted it in CAD & re-inletted the stock.

Then we had a chat about pillars & bedding, again, another task they take to another level (& cost). IIRC, bedding was $500.

It's what they do & i'm ok with that.

t
They definitely are good at what they do--