LR Factory Rig - Sendero or Accumark

I have been contemplating buying one of these (Sendero) for years - mainly just to say I have a true dedicated LR rifle and now I am really thinking about pulling the trigger. Are these rifle good to go out of the box or can I still expect to have to glass bed and work on the trigger? Any feedback good or bad to share? If I purchased one, I plan on going with a 300 win.

My other thought is possibly a Weatherby Accumark - but I have read people having accuracy issues, plus the rifle is hundreds of dollars more than a Sendero. I would be looking at a 300 weatherby in this rifle.

Thoughts? The goal would be to eventually have a rifle with 1000 yard big game capabilities (elk included) Even though I would never shoot at animal that far....At least not until I had a lot more practice in LR shooting and got the proper rig setup. (I'm currently comfortable to 500 yards max with my current big game rifles)

The Senderos are exceptional rifles. I have quite a few of them. Also, since you want .300WM, look into one of these... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411548808

Regardless of what model Remington 700, if it comes with the X-Mark Pro trigger, you will want to swap it out for a Timney or Jewell. Timney's can be had for about $125.

Also, almost all brand, make, and model rifles will benefit from bedding the action and floating the barrel. I would consider those 2 things to be pretty much mandatory for getting the most accuracy out of any rifle you buy.

The Accumarks are grossly overrated and over priced for what you get, and this is based on my own personal experience with one (bought new in 2008, traded it off in 2014).

I have been contemplating buying one of these (Sendero) for years -

You might have answered your own query.

A die hard Remington guy will always recommend a Remington and the same is true with the Weatherby. Having said that, I have more friends that are much happier with the Weatherby MKV/Accumark than the Sendero. My hunting partner has one in 7MM Rem Mag.

Both have the potential for 1000 yard on elk, esp with 215/230 Bergers. However, the .300 WBTY has a bit more oomph than the .300 WM.

It boils down to personal choice between the two. I have developed loads for friends that have both rifles and both shot well but I like the feel on the WBTY better esp. cradle/cheek weld (comb), but that's just me. The one thing I didn't like about my friend's WBTY is the factory radial muzzle brake.

Good luck!

That 5r at buds is VERRRYYYY Tempting...

Do you know what those weigh approx.? Also, is there enough magazine room in the remingtons to load VLD bullets in the 300 win without crunching them down?

That 5r at buds is VERRRYYYY Tempting...

Do you know what those weigh approx.? Also, is there enough magazine room in the remingtons to load VLD bullets in the 300 win without crunching them down?

For the weight, I am unsure, I'd probably add about 1/2 lb. to the weight of a Sendero SFII .300WM, since they are 95% identical other than the fluted barrel, which would probably remove about a 1/2 lb. of weight.

As for C.O.A.L. I have one just like I posted a link to, and I can seat the Berger 210 VLD's at .010" off the lands and still have some more mag room.

I just recently purchased a sendero in 300 win mag, I'm in the beginning stages of load development. I decided to do a ladder test in a 4 grain range in 1/2 grain increments. Could cover 19 shots with a 50 cent piece. I think it's going to be a winner. All I did was adjust the factory trigger( it will be replaced soon)

I have shot both and accuracy is about the same: .5 to .6 moa after bedding and trigger job.

They are actually quite different though. The Sendero is a bit heavier out front and definitely feels cheaper. That's maybe not the best word for it since the Sendero is a good quality gun, it's just not up there with the Weatherby when it comes to fit and finish. The Weatherby has a trigger that can be easily tuned by replacing the spring and turning a screw, the Rem not so much (get a Timney). Both have good quality stocks with aluminum bedding blocks.

To me the Accumark is a better gun, but maybe not $600 better. That's a choice you'll have to make. For the record I got my Accumark for $1200 pre-owned and unfired, which might explain why I'm so happy with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.