LR bow hunting/shooting

Charles A

Just something a little different. Does anybody else do this? I shoot an AR34, 74#, 29in draw, 25.5in Beeman Ics arrows, 100gr tip at 286fps, and vital gear adjustable bowsight. I have enough adjustment to get out to 95yds with the sight maxed out. Hitting 8-10in ballons at that range is normal. Just currious if any body else does it and your setup. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's good to hear that other people like to shoot long range with more than just a rifle or pistol. I shoot a High Country Max-extreme at 82#, Gold Tip ultra lights, 75gr vortex @368fps with a Matrix sight. The sight has 5 pins yet this will take me to 80yards with a 30yd dead zero for the first pin. Although I will hide 2 of the pins behind my first 3 pins when it's time to kill. I only feel comfortable with shots on a live animals to 50 yards, a lot of things can go wrong.

As for targets, I usually keep it simple with a dot target with scoring rings to approximately 10 inches. I usually can keep arrows within the 6-8 inch range.

Yes I shoot LR with a bow also. Glad to see Im not the only one. I use a Kodiak Outdoors bow logic 32 with carbon express cammo terminator hunter select shafts and 100 grain montec G5 broad heads. This bow/arrow combo does extreemly well out to 80 yards for me. Total arrow weight is 440 grains at about 250 FPS.

Below is a pic of my first elk taken with this set up at 33 yards.

320065.jpg

add me to the list, i have a 80lb hoyt ultra tech shooting 2314's @ 272 with the 100 grain montecs as well. the fartherest shots i have made with my bow was 57 yrds on a feral hog, 52 yards on a 10 point 120 class whitetail. i still belive in the old school thoughts of heavy arrow as fast as you can push it.

good to hear others are lr bow shooters! i am very new to LR rifle and have tons and tons to learn, but i have been LR bow shooting for 10 years and have taken many western game animals at extreme distances that i will not post because i have been bashed in the past!

I take LR bow hunting like others take LR rifle I use a toxonics 3500 sliding 3d target sight with all the distances set and marked in 5 yard inc. to 100 yards 85 lb bow (have uesed many different) 600 gr full length gold tip 7595 125gr muzzy . Then use a laser range finder get the range and slide the pin to the right distance and shoot. this is not a dense woods set up it is to be used in the west for antelope and deer in the prarie! you also have to know your limits! even though you can hit a 8 " target @ 100 everytime with no wind , get a 5 mph cross and that will blow your arrow off the target completely! I belive you must give all game animals the respect they deserve and only take a responsible shot gun or bow! anyone can fling arrows and with enough shots you will eventually hit something! a responsible hunter will only take a shot that he or she feels they can make no questions asked! if in doubt dont shoot!

I to shoot LRA (Long Range Archery) for practice. I keep my game shots to 40 or less. I shoot my Alpine Fatal Impact 70lb with Golden Tip carbon shafts and G5 Monotec broadheads, Black Gold sight, Scotts release and Golden Key fall away rest out to 100 yards on my 3D deer.

30 yards is long range with my 71# morrison cougar longbow. 820gr grizzly stik arrows. I want to be so close that my arrow just clears the shelf when it hits them.
123456.jpg

Thats what I'm talking about guys!

meichele, nice elk. Were planning on going after one of those buggers, next year.

Wildworks, your not going to get bashed by me. My buddie and I are thinking of some pretty crazy ideas to get WAY out there. I'd be very interested in how far you've gotten and how you do it. If you dont mind, that is.

We shoot from 70-95yds everyday. My average group size right now at 95 is about 7-8 inches. The groups could be smaller but I'm using a .050 pin. It completly covers the aiming spot and then some. Might go with a 3D sight for the magnigication and smaller aimpoint. We shoot 3D quite a bit, and often shoot a second round so we can shoot them at LR using our rangefinders, the scores are pretty decent even when shooting from 70+yds away. But they can improve with an equipment change I think.

charles

I have taken 4 mule deer at 70-90 yards and antelope @ 93 yards. the set up is just like tourny. 3D including the 3 foot easton stabilizer with side counter balance. develop your drop chart on the slide w/ laser RF
and hope for no wind! all animal where taken early morning or late afternoon and little to no wind. the main key is shoot a very heavy arrow just like LR rifle you get less wind deflection and more inportant enough energy to kill at that range!

Charles, 12 years ago I would shoot 4" baloons at 60 yards with an XI Paragon and 2314 eastons. One of my buddys would bet newcommers a beer on weather I could hit them. He drank more than he bought. My most memorable long range kill was a 153"net whitetail at 42 yards. Next Wendsday bear season opens. I waited 5 years for the tag and have been baiting for 2 months, of course, I'll be in tree with the bow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I use a hoyt ultra tech, 71 lb draw, black gold sight - 6 pins 29.5" Beman ICS camo hunter arrows, 100 gr. NAP spitfires for big game and a judo point for grouse, p-dogs, and rabbits.

Longest kills:
28 yd antelope
36 yd p-dog
14 yard blue grouse
61 yard cotton tail
97 yard 3d whitetail (using bottom of sight ring for aim point)

Mathews Outback Solocam
65#, Beeman ICS Hunters
75 gr Muzzy 278 fps

Longest kill 100 lb sow @ 9 ft.

This will be second season with this bow, but in East Tx, full camo in 85F weather aint fun. Mosquitos still a huge problem where I hunt, but it is still quite the challenge. Nothing like it!

I shoot a PSE Laser bought in 1977, 70#, 50% letoff, 31" draw, fingers. When I had time to practice two to three days a week I was pretty decent with it. Longest shot was 70yd on a spike whitetail buck- right through the gizzard. Ran 10 yds fell over dead.

Several in the deer in 50-60 yd range.

Don't have the time to practice enough to make that kind of a shot now.

The new PSE Primos with the long brace height and long draw lenght might get me to retire my 28 year old bow.

I shoot a Hoyt MT Sport at 65-70#. Beman ICS Hunter arrows with a Thunderhead 125.

While this is great and all that some of you are very accurate at long range and practice often I must warn you it's not all it's cracked up to be. I figured that I would push my limits this year with my bow to 60 yards. I shot 5 arrows the evening before bow season opened at 60 yards and wound up with a 2 inch group! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif However, come opening morning I got a nice shot on a 4 pointer (10 for all you easterners) at 51 yards. There was some grass between me and him so I had to range his head. The arrow cleared the grass just fine but I saw it going high and then THAAAAA WACK! it hit the spine and just stopped. The buck flinched and then walked off almost un phased by the impact. I never found that buck nor a blood trail to follow. I simply got a bad rangefinder reading. So two days later I found another 4 pointer (8 for you easterners) he was at 43 yards. I drew back and let the arrow go once again. While the arrow was in mid flight I saw the but end of the buck drop and his chest moved up as he tried spin around to run back to the trail he had come from. About that time the arrow got there and busted his far leg. I never found a blood trail or the animal.

I guess I just used this as a word of caution that there is just too man variables to consistently kill bucks with a bow at long range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sorry to get all ethical on you guys. Just something to remember. And I hope like Heck that it never happens to any of you. Those were the 2 biggest bucks I have ever shot at and I wound up killing them both and never found em. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif And that was with what I figured to be Ethical shots. Just imagine what can happen when you try to shoot the LOOOONG one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.