LPR 6.5 SAUM range trip

OH58DViper

I got a chance to take the new rig for a run today and it didn't disappoint. I fired a few rounds to get her dirtied and zeroed. Shot a group at 100m (at a military range, so 110 yards) and it was right at 1/2 MOA. Next I shot at 300m and put 3 rounds on top of each other. Out to 600m for 3 and they were under 1/2 MOA. Then out to 800m and the first was a center punch, then stuff got crazy. Next shot was crazy high and the third crazy low. I was puzzled as were my spotter and spectators. I return to zero and squeeze one off and completely miss the target. I shoot at a full sized IPSC target backer at 100 and it's way off, so I think I'll shoot one more to verify and it was 7" from the other. In my head I think "that guy that told me not to buy vortex is gonna love this story." Turns out that I forgot to use loctite on the base screws and it was rocking side to side 🙄. The good news is the 300 RUM went with me and I have single shots and single impacts out to 1100 yards on video, dead on the waterline. That thing never disappoints! And my sons smokeless ML was hammering out to 700m/770yds. I reduced the load hoping to also reduce recoil. I was throwing a 300 gr at 3200 and now at 2785….unfortunately it still kicks too much for the little man to shoulder.

The prime 6.5 SAUM ammo was pretty good for factory ammo. Over 9 rounds it was 33 ES and 10.7 SD @ 2877 with a 142 SMK out of a 20" pipe.

It will probably be a while until I get to shoot the 6.5 again. Hopefully next time it won't be on a public range so I can take some pics and videos.