Low Budget GPS

98s1lightning

What's the best options for low budget GPS.

I don't have a smart phone and don't want one.

I know traditionally, when it comes to electronics, the more you pay the better. But I feel these days even the low budget stuff can be good. I can't afford to blow hundreds on some *** that aint worth a chit tho.

I'm considering a GPS so I can wander miles from camp, with my son now. Its more important for me to have a grasp on when EXACTLY we are, in case of emergency, he can navigate out of there.

Were not going super deep in the woods and stay inside boundaries. But for a young kid who's good with electronics I feel its a good idea.

I would normally print out a satellite map shot of area and draw on it myself. That method still works, but not if you decide on a new spot while in the field.

Map is still a good skill. Especially with compass. Shoot and azimuth, reverse azimuth, terrain association, and 3 point resection.

That said, what features are you looking for? Gps with a map, or just gps with waypoints?

I can tell you the garmin fortrex 401 is old, but I'm sure if you found one it would be pretty cheap. It's been replaced by newer ones, but the 401 is you could do anything with, especially combined with a physical map.

Theres the garmin etrex series too.

I sometimes see Garmin Rino's (newer and older models) up for resale that can be helpful, plus comms if you and your son decided to split up during your hunt and wanted to communicate. The sticker price brand new for those units ain't cheap tho.

But if you prefer/continue having a printout map and generally know your area… the foretrex to check against a gridsquare is a simple solution.

I had several Garmin ETrex and my last one was probably 15 years ago. I bought the program for all the Topo Maps. Used it extensively for hunting around the World.
There is probably much better ones and less cost these days.

I DO NOT GO HUNTING WITH OUT MY GARMIN. PERIOD!!!
There is so many functions that you can use fooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooocx
If hunting for yotes behind my house and no moon I could get lost. If out of the homes lights that are usually off late night

Last edited: