GPS Recommendations

dawaba

I had a Garmin Etrex Legend for several years that did yeoman service for me until I lost it this past September while hunting in Newfoundland. I missed having it on later fall hunts in Arizona and Chihuahua. Initially, I planned to buy another Legend, but now I see that technology has perhaps provided me with some better options at affordable prices. For example, some other models now have memory cards for downloading maps--and I DO have Garmin's MapSource Topo CDS--and other bells and whistles like barometric altimeters, electronic compasses and color screens. I've always thought that all I needed in the hills was a GPS capable of getting me back to my truck to prevent an overnight siwash somewhere remote and cold, but maybe I need to look at some more options. So....with $500 or less to spend, what light and handy GPS do you recommend for North American (yes, Alaska and Canada)hunting and hiking?? Please argue the pros and cons of your choice. Thanks....Dave

Garmin GPSMAP 76CSX. Less than $500 (buy it from an online GPS store and save more $$). It floats, has the new super sensitive SIRF receiver, color screen and has the removable storage card. The card is nice if you choose to use street maps vs the topo maps - use one card for each. Mine has the factory card and to max it out with topo maps, I have to load it with all of the northwest.
It is also nice to have the electronic compass so you can see which way to go without having to be in motion to do it. I really don't use the altimeter, but if I used something like Exbal, it would come in handy.

The only thing that I don't like is that you can't load 2 types of maps at one time (such as topo and street maps), even though there is room, and you can't add/change maps without reloading them all at once. Not to terrible, and can be overcome with the purchase of additional cards. Check to see what blank micro-sd cards cost and you will see that it isn't too expensive to have multiple cards (if you even need them).

Hi Dave,

I leave in Alberta, and me and all my hunting friends(5), got 1 year ago the Rhino GPS.
We could not belive how we could go hunting without it.
- Have all the options of the modern GPS and IN TOP OF THAT A WALKY TALKY Radio Device up to 8 miles.
All the time when we comunicate between us through the radio, we have in our displays the update position of our friends.
So we know all the time were we are, and we comunicate between us.
We can send to each other (all compatible Rhino GPS Device) position on the map where we are, or where the games is (so for easy retreave) or in case of accident we know where is the owner of that gps.
VERY HANDY.

For Rhino you can start with Rhino120 (Greyscale display with 8 MB for map) and up to Rhino 550 (color display and 64MB for map) All are compatible with TOPO MAP CANADA or USA/EUROPE.
you can see the GPS at http://www.gpscity.ca

Cris

UPs almost forgot.
This year we got coyote hunting, and we got stuck in snow with our truck. We just talk with our friends (hunting 3 miles up river) and they got automaticaly our position.
For them it was so easy to use the future of the GPS, "drive to this location" and they comes straight to us, just folowing the GPS route.
EASY, EASY EASy, and very helpful.

Cris

gonehuntingagain,

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing that I don't like is that you can't load 2 types of maps at one time (such as topo and street maps), even though there is room, and you can't add/change maps without reloading them all at once. Not to terrible, and can be overcome with the purchase of additional cards. Check to see what blank micro-sd cards cost and you will see that it isn't too expensive to have multiple cards (if you even need them).

[/ QUOTE ]

The Garmin GPSMAP 76CSX is pretty nice, I wished I had that one, but then again I would like to have the Rino 530. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just like them toys, they just get too expensive for me.

In reference to your quote above, I have an eTrex Legend CX which I believe uses the same software as yours. I'm not able to run in the eTrex the topo and street maps at the same time, but I'm able to load them both for a selected area into the memory card at the same time. Originally I had been told I could not do it but playing with the Mapsource sofware I seleted the section I was interested for street maps, placed the right cd in the computer for the topo maps, made the selection as you know, on the window on the left of Mapsource you'll see Citynavigator and topomap selections in a mixed up order but now you can
down load both, Citynavigator (street maps) and the topo map into a memory card in one step assuming you have enough memory. Once inserted into your GPS and initialized is easy to run either one.
I hope I understood what you said correctly, lately I've been sapcing out!
-----------------------------------------------------------

dawaba,

As mentioned before, I have the Garmin eTrex Legend CX.
I do really like it very much. It has removable memory card
and aside from not having a digital compass it'll do just about anything for you. Something I like about it is that 2 AA batteries will last about 32 hrs. if you don't have the screen light on. Using the City Navigator will create routes which will give you turn by turn on the screen by automatically zooming in and out; also, you can have coordinates for a point in the city and when you say you want to go to that point it will give you and option and would, if so selected, give you a route to that point again turn by turn. It just does to much to mention it here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm 52 and of course my eyes are not what they used to be. I wished the screen was a little bigger, but not yet a big problem. I bought mine at Sportsman's Ware House when they had them on sale for $199.99 from $299.99 and them I sent in a coupon for $50.00 which I did get back. You can say I got it for $150.00. Other wise, trying to spend $350.00 or less I would have gotten the next one up which is the eTrex Vista Cx. This one has the digital compass and digital altimeter.

Thanks Eaglet - you did understand what I was saying. It looks like I'll have to play with Mapsource some more. There are so many options to the GPS that I have merely scratched the surface of what it can do.

I have the eTrex Vista Cx and love it. It has color screen, compass, altimeter, and micro SD memory card. You can even buy TOPO maps preloaded on the SD cards. Simple out of the box basic use, but also has a TON of features to use if you wish. It even has games on it!? Anyways, it's small, works great (acquires satellites very quickly), and I think you would be very happy with it.

to go with tjbills post, I have the etrex vista (not the cx) so it doesnt have the color screen or anything but I use it all the time setting up land navigation courses and finding my way around. Ive taken it hunting a few times and also been up in the middle of no where wyoming with it and it works great. So yea, if you want color perhaps the cx but the regular vista works great for me, and i think it was only about 220 bucks when I found it. Its basically a steup up from the legend, with other features to include altitude and a compass and such.

Thanks for all the insite, guys. My Newfoundland guide used a Garmin 32mg Rhino and, unlike me, didn't lose his unit somewhere in the tuckamores like I did. We never got turned around or confused. Another question: Other than the exterior appearance, is there any difference between the GPSMAP 76csx and the 60csx? Thanks for your indulgence....just as my Leica 10x42 was likely my last bino purchase, I want this GPS to last for a long time. Dave

I just compared the 60 csx and 76 csx on garmins website. The 60 csx is 2.2 oz lighter w/o batteries. The 76csx comes with a 128 mb microSD card as opposed to a 64mb in the 60csx.

If your guide has a Rhino you might consider getting one of those, it could make things easier (and might also act as a locating beacon if you lost it in the woods again).

I've had a rino 120 for about three or fours years now. It has always worked great. I love it, plus they are pretty cheap now way less than your $500 budget. however check out the rino 530 (i think that is what they are called) amazing color screens all the bells and whistles. keep in mind that the walky-talkie on any rino will communicate with any other walky-talkie so all your hunting buddies need is a radio from radio shack and then you can all stay in touch!

didnt read entire post but garmin 76 is what I use not only do I hunt with it but it was my main GPS when I lived in FL for deep sea fishing. But where it made a difference is when I SUBA dive, it really makes a diffence when you get to the anchor and DONT SEE WHAT YOU WANTED TO DIVE, OR MOVE THE ANCHOR OFF THE WRECK!

Those $500 versions with map in them to me waste of money!

Get the biggest screen you can find! Im not fond of color.

Where I hunt mostley you can see a hundred yards, Who cares that the map shows some things you cant see. Ten miles away.

Model 72 GREAT buy for the money!

Opinion on a Rhino.....well you want a radio or a GPS? if your battery dies your out both...lose one at least you have the other.

BIG SCREEN! BIG SCREEN! BIG SCREEN! makes one hell of a diff in the dark.

Good luck with your choice!

NYLES,
If you're color blind then I agree with you, other wise color is nice. You know, different things, different colors, you know what's what! JMO /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

160 ft under the boat, color makes no diff......When the land is flat 120 ft above sea level there is no color change....still not color blind and all I want from a GPS is which way to go! on the COMPASS screen color makes no diff!

Not knocking color at all, I just never found a use for it.

Maybe on a bottom machine but not a GPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.