Budget stock

I have a stockys carbon fiber stock with a vertical grip made by A G composite, I really like it and they keep them in stock.

How did you do that? Did you cut off the flanges on the stock and then smooth it out?? I wish Bc Would make a stock just like that.
Ya, I shaved down the forend, used an epoxy filler to fill in the fiberglass holes and voids and smoothed it out with sand paper, installed flushcups on the side, then used another epoxy to give grip and forend texturing, and then gave it a solid base coat and painted and then gave it a heavy matte clear coat. Came out nice, I really like it.
20170718_080018.jpg
20170718_140643.jpg
20170719_090034.jpg
20170719_102725.jpg
20170719_111254.jpg
20170724_082914.jpg

How do you like the At-one? I am shopping for a stock for my 30-06 that I can use for target and hunting, more target though. Right now it is in a plastic factory stock.
The boyds stocks I pictured in a previous post are not mine, just pics I got off the internet. I do have two different boyds though, a prairie hunter and a pro varmint with adjustable cheek, pictured below. I like them. You don't have to get them in wood, my pro varmint is in black textured.
20180529_150504.jpg
20170321_172721.jpg

The boyds stocks I pictured in a previous post are not mine, just pics I got off the internet. I do have two different boyds though, a prairie hunter and a pro varmint with adjustable cheek, pictured below. I like them. You don't have to get them in wood, my pro varmint is in black textured. View attachment 118397 View attachment 118398
Those are nice! The pro Varmint was my second option after the And-one. Would you say it is suitable for the occasional hunt?

Those are nice! The pro Varmint was my second option after the And-one. Would you say it is suitable for the occasional hunt?
The pro varmint? Yup. It is not a light weight stock, with the adjustable cheek it is probably 3-3.5 lbs. On a Ruger M77 long action, 26" Krieger #5+, this stock and the Vortex PST 4-16, it is 12.5 lbs. With a lighter barrel you could trim that some.

Last edited:
The pro varmint? Yup. It is not a light weight stock, with the adjustable cheek it is probably 3-3.5 lbs. On a Ruger M77 long action, 26" Krieger #5+, this stock and the Vortex PST 4-16, it is 12.5 lbs. With a lighter barrel you could trim that some.
Thanks for the info Cody. That may be the route I go.

Boyd's have just release an At One thumbhole fully adjustable cheek and optional length of pull. It is going to be lighter than the A5/Pro varmint by about 1/2-3/4 of a pound

Boyd's have just release an At One thumbhole fully adjustable cheek and optional length of pull. It is going to be lighter than the A5/Pro varmint by about 1/2-3/4 of a pound
I will have to check that out Capt. How do the thumbhole stocks grip feel when shooting higher calibers? I know a pistol grip on a shotgun isn't the most pleasant at times.

I shoot prone mostly. I like a thumbhole or a typical vertical grip. I just got the email yesterday from Boyds about the At One so I don't have anything about availability or inlets. However I'd think a phone call would get that info.
I don't subscribe to the free recoil method of shooting outside of precision benchrest. I like a hard hold and have shot that way for way too long to change now. The thumbhole and vertical grip give you much better wrist/hand position to control recoil from a hunting weight/hard kicking rifle. I'm of the belief that if you can control that recoil better you will shoot better

Ya, I shaved down the forend, used an epoxy filler to fill in the fiberglass holes and voids and smoothed it out with sand paper, installed flushcups on the side, then used another epoxy to give grip and forend texturing, and then gave it a solid base coat and painted and then gave it a heavy matte clear coat. Came out nice, I really like it.

That's sweet! You basically made yourself a Greybull stock for less money and with a stock that's readily available! I like it!

I shoot prone mostly. I like a thumbhole or a typical vertical grip. I just got the email yesterday from Boyds about the At One so I don't have anything about availability or inlets. However I'd think a phone call would get that info.
I don't subscribe to the free recoil method of shooting outside of precision benchrest. I like a hard hold and have shot that way for way too long to change now. The thumbhole and vertical grip give you much better wrist/hand position to control recoil from a hunting weight/hard kicking rifle. I'm of the belief that if you can control that recoil better you will shoot better
I have yet to see a picture of the thumbhole version. I can't wait to see it as that probably will be the one I go with. I have never shot with a vertical pistol grip other than A.R. 15 style rifle's and shotguns. Your insight is very helpful, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.