Lost My Ammo, Had To Buy Some at Local Store

I see and hear this comment about forgetting ammo all the time. Just saw it on another, what cartridge to build thread. In 55 years of hunting this has NEVER happened to me, or to anyone I know. Even on fly in hunts I have never lost my ammo, though I do pack ammo into three different spots in case some luggage gets lost. How many of you have personally had to buy ammo at a local store because you forgot or lost your hand loads?
Not I but my buddy who I load for lost all his hunting gear including his ammo on his way to a special draw New Mexico hunt. Did not secure his plastic tote and somewhere someone scored some excellent and some junk hunting gear. He called in a panic wanting me to help. I told him never sell his 30-06 and go to the local gas station and buy what they have. Killed a dang nice Muley.

Never forgot my ammo. But cut it close lately. 3 deer in last 2 years with 3 (reloaded) cartridges and now down to 2 left. Going to have to work some brass up, reload and make sure its still a good recipe! I did indeed head out with 4 loaded cartridges, IIRC. To be fair. Had a second gun in the truck. When you trust your gun and your location, just how often have you ever needed more than 4 shots?

Forgot my bibs once. Cost me a bit to buy some at Oschelns (farm supply place). Forgot my 1974 huntersafety certificate. Had my wife take a picture and since Mr. Game Warden never stopped me, I guess it was adequate. Forgot my tag too often to admit, but in Kansas, they can be replaced or now just use the app. I forget my spotting scope pretty much all the time. Range finder is a good one -- if I can see it to range it, I can see it to shoot it.

Agree that the theory that you need a gun shooting factory ammo is just bull crap. That is if you like to reload at least. Or for that matter plan ahead.

the lease I hunt is 5 hrs away from home. This year I went for a four day hunt. Put two pair of hunting boots in the middle of the floor in my reloading room where I would have to walk around them or step over them to get to my truck. Walked around the or stepped over them probably five times making a mental note not to forget them each time.Guess what? Yep. Forgot them
I have forgot my ammo on a trip to the range 25 minutes from home but not on a hunt…yet

A lot of replies and some darn funny ones, but so far, my take is the need to find local ammo cause I forgot it, is very rare and more urban legend than reality. Bet that comment still gets made on every new gun build thread anyhow.🗣️
:)

I have found that if you thing about it, you better do it, or you will forget it.
I have maked up a few sheets on excel that have the gear I need to take.
I go thru it and put an X in the items I need. Then I print it. I have a place that I can set it down and mark the item I have taken out and loaded into my truck, trailer or hunting daypack.
I will make special lists for my day pack, that I also check off what I need and at it get loaded into the pack.
In my pickup I always carry a first Aid bag. It never leaves the pickup unless needed.
I still forget items.:confused:😅

Yeah it's a real problem. When the postal tracking started I don't know around 2010 maybe earlier that really helped. Most these villages ugashik included we're served by Pen Air with the mail run and they had individual Freight agents that were supposed to deliver it from the gravel strip to the post office. I'm here to tell you before the tracking was on all the post office Freight pretty much anything the freight person wanted would "never arrive". Must have been 2006 or 2007 there was a big push to try and figure out where all the stuff was going, and it got better. Especially if you had a good agent.

I've had a fair whack of nice stuff dissappear from tsa in and out of those regions. My guess is they are aware of what appears to be paper thin oversight. I've lost ammo, nice knives, and oddly enough my most recent was a very new down jacket that the wife had gotten for me go travel in so I don't look like such a vagabond all the time. Peeled it off in the terminal as it was -22 where I was and 30 in town, it made it in my bag but not to anchorage. It's just an un official tax on rural travel. First time in 7 years I'd had something go missing, but it doesn't take many bad apples and with the labor shortage it must be hard to find good agents.

Only one that really made me mad was in the early 2000s, fished on a good Boat. We had a heck of a year and the captain had purchased us domestic made benchmades and had the year boat name and lbds caught laser etched on the blade, and gave them to us with a 1k bonus tucked in the case it came in. I ended up riding a boat to King Cove as the captain offered to pay me to ride along and for a free flight South, too young whippersnapper an extra $1,000 and free tickets sounded great. When I transitioned in King Salmon that knife got tucked into the top of my seabag so I could go through jet TSA before flying south. Unsurprisingly the knife did not make it in the suitcase down south. Of all the things that have been a "security risk" and freed itself from my suitcase, that's the one that ticks me off.
I still look at gun shows for the knife that the Post Office employee stole with all my pistols. My dad carried it in his flight suit for over 3500 hrs when he was stationed in Yokohama late 50's early 60's. Also two custom shoulder rigs from a saddle maker in Salmon Idaho. Lousy deadbeat got it all