Loss of Love for Leupold, New scope time.

I had an old Leupold 3x9 VX1, that the cross hairs wouldn't stay centered on when zooming. I sent it in. They sent it back saying they couldn't fix it. And, if I was to use it just pick a certain power and stick with that to zero it and don't zoom in and out. And not to send it back.
So much for "lifetime warranty." Or maybe that was LIMITED lifetime warranty... Schmidt/Bender or Swarovski are my favorites.

Hey Lee, RTR!!!!

Long of the short, my VX6 HD took a dump at the moment of truth and I missed a 370" bull. Looking for something that can track, and handle the minor bumps of a mountain hunting rifle( I don't expect any scope to get tomahawked and hold zero) and maintain zero. Would prefer to keep it under 28 oz... I know its nothing special and the glass in the VX6HD is much better but my 6-24 gen1 one PST has never failed me in 7 years of hard mountain hunting and its had its fair share of accidental spills(like falling down the mountain with it strapped to my pack) and never shifted more than an inch off zero after even the biggest mishap on the mountain. So basically looking for the reliability and weight I've experienced with that scope but looking to upgrade to better glass and turrets while not being heavy. I've looked at the Zeiss v4&v6 The Mark 5, NX8 and a few others. I want at least 18 if not more 20-25 on the top end. What lighter scopes have you guys had good luck with and recommend? I'll give up a little in glass for durability but it would be nice to have my cake and eat it too.
I would like to hear what Leupold finds wrong with the scope, I sent one back a few years ago and they found nothing but it had lost its ability to hold zero. I have 2 Night Force NXS scopes and they seem to be bullet proof. Happy shooting.

I have had to return Leupold, Vortex, NF and S&B over the years for functional issues. No scope is completely immune to failure. Upon repair all but one continues to perform well.
More than once I have had to adjust for a second shot based on observed first shot POI because the scope had been knocked-off zero for some reason. Just last season my son took a shot at a nice coues buck but his first shot hit 2 feet high and 2 feet to the right at 700 yards. Second shot he aimed two feet low and to the left and dropped it. I know that is not always possible but I have to say that competing in PRS is great for preparing hunters for that situation. We re-bedded the scope mounts/rings and zeroed it again and that same rifle/NXS dropped two more coues this year and was spot-on, including a 115" at 730 yards. I go to great lengths to confirm the scope is bad on a mishap like this and not a mounting problem; there are too many possibilities to mention. In my opinion, solid bedding on mounts, rings, and scope tube with an aligned/centered reticle are paramount to a reliable hunting rig. As others have mentioned, there are many good scopes out there and hope you find one that holds up.

Might give meopta a try meopro meostar optica 6 optica 5 a lot of choices not made in China or Japan great glass not a night force but a third of the price for european glass they used to make some of zeiss scopes but now there doing there own I think theve been in buisness sine 1930 thats my scopes of choice these days

My VX6HD is as tough as nails, Falls drops, horses, ATVs, Grandson even forgot it in the back of the truck on a rough road. Never had to adjust it with any of that. I am not sure what happen to yours, but I know they will find the problem and fix it. I never had a problem with any of my scopes from Leupold In the last 40 years and I have a bunch. First and Last scope I every buy for each of my rifles.

I was always a Leupold guy, until I used a Nightforce NXS lent to me by a friend and his suggestion. Now I'm in the process of changing out my Leupolds, as funds permit. Currently waiting on an ATACR. I'll sacrifice a little weight for the best glass I can afford. I never had an issue with the Leupold failing personally, but I've heard multiple stories of poor quality and customer service. Based on that, I'd have a hard time buying another Leupold. If you don't have confidence in your equipment, that's one strike against you before you hit the field on your hunting trip. For the cost of the trip and difficulty in obtaining tags these days, I certainly don't want to be concerned with whether or not I will have issues with my optics. My choice? Nightforce. Rumors of a new 4-20x50 ATACR? Hmmm....

So, here's the thing: the OP came in here bashing leupold, swears he's done with them, and the scope is gone for repairs, but there have been a dozen people asking for clarification and he will not respond. He's been reading these comments all day and refuses to tell us what actually happened. This entire conversation has been a waste of time, because only one person knows what actually happened, and he refuses to tell us. He probably works for Barska and just wanted to stir the pot or something. I'm done wasting my time coming back to see if he is going to tell us that he takes it off of his rifle to drive in his tent poles with, and then has a poi shift when he puts it back in the rings.