Looking to go 7 STW

Hey all! I currently have a 7 RM that I am thinking about converting to a STW when I shoot the barrel out. I have always been a fan of some of the older calibers, owning a 220 Swift, 30-06, and 243 Win. I am also a huge fan of the BC's of the 7mm bullets that are out there.

Having said that, I was wondering if you all could give me some feedback on other reasons to get a STW over some of the newer 7mm calibers out there. I have sighted in a 7 RUM before for a guy, and I hated being on the end of that gun. Recoil sucked! Does the STW have as much recoil as the RUM? Also, what kind of velocities are people getting from the STW with 168-180 gr Bergers out of 26-28" barrels? What twist rate do you guys have? Anything else that you guys think may be helpful would be good too. Thanks for the help guys!

Joe
I know this thread has kind of taken on a life of it's own but I'll go back to the beginning and tell you what I'm considering currently for a build.

I really like the Montana Rifles actions. They are based on the model 70.

You can by the magnum long action in stainless for around 750.00.

Next comes the barrel. The Schneider barrel on my Model 70 Sharpshooter is just fantastic so I'm thinking of calling them.

I'm thinking that I'd like to build one specifically as a "Long Ranger" that will specifically be my go to 1000yds gun. What I'd like to do is go then with a light target/medim varmint contour that finishes at 28" with a barrel diameter of .750. It would of course be a stainless fluted, maybe spiral fluted with a bead blast finish taking the "shiny off".

Once I get that all together put it in a Precision Stock Works hunter. They are a local TX company and make a fantastic product. Here's one of them.

26847d3d49bc477ea03614367383d0e5.JPG

In fact, but for the action and finish this is very similar to what I hope to end up with in a year or so.

Okay, I talked to my gunsmith, and he said that he could definitely do the work for me. I imagine he will talk me through all of my options when the time comes, but he did say that the price would be $699 to have a new barrel put on the gun, with all the labor and extra attention the gun gets at that point, and that it would be another $100 to have the new barrel threaded for the muzzle brake that is already on my 7 RM.

I trust this smith, and I have worked with him already. He visited with me on the phone and via email, answering any questions I have had before. He is a pretty good cat.

When I have all of this done I may have to look into one of Joel Russo's laminate stocks too :D

Thank you all for your input.

WildRose, it looks like an interesting build.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.