looking to up grade my old stw.

Rkelley

I have owned my 7mm stw since around 93. I purchaced a 700 bdl deluxe in 7mm around 92. Soon after My step dad purchaced a new 7mm rem mag and the tooling for our gunsmith, he talked me into doing mine at the same time. I been reading up on the 7mm stw here as well as talking to a local gunsmith. My rifle has a 24" Barrel, I want to get a Muzzel break installed as well as a new recoil pad. After reading up a bit I think that an oversized magazine should be added. I belive that all of it might be a waist with out at least going to a 26" or 28" barrel. The gunsmith has a new stainless 7 mag barrel that is a tearoff, I think he wanted $60. I have a blued rifle so im not sure, I think I would rather find a diffrent barrel in 28". My load is currently cci mag primer 79 gn h1000 160 nosler partition. I recently bought 500 160 gn nosler partition gold molly coated bullets at $20 per box (so I have kind of closed the door on changing my bullet).
I would like to hear your thoughts as well as any information as to a reasonably priced barrel.

Thanks,
Reid

I also turned a Remington 700 in 7mag into an STW. Mine is an improved version of the case and I absolutely love the rifle. I had a 26" Shilen Match barrel with a 9" twist installed. Running 77.5 grains of Retumbo with a 180 grain Berger VLD hybrid @ 3100 fps it produces one hole groups at 100 yards and we'll under 1/2" groups at 300 yards. There are a lot of choices in barrels out there that work very well. The Shilen has done an excellent job for me. It's a #7 contour and the gun weighs a lot. But with the heavy barrel and a Muscle Brake twisted on the end of it I can watch the bullet impact through the scope. Very little recoil. I would look into a the Shilen for reasonable cost. And go with the Muscle Brake whatever you decide.

Thanks, ? Improved as in ackley?
I talked with the smith today, My mind is swimming now eyes are glazed over (my teacher used to call it the dead minnow look).
His cost break down
$125 for barrel work
$130 for the muzzel break
$ 75 to true the bolt ( said that it wasn't nessesary but recomended it)
$ 100 for the magwell including the parts

As far as the barrel he said he has built qwite a few rifles with a Shilen barrel but has had a few bad ones in which the cost to find out in spent rounds and rework didnt warrent the savings. He mentioned kreger although there would be an extra cost of $30 to get a 28" barrel he guessed $360 for ss. He has recently built 6 guns for a customer with xcaliber barrels, said he likes what he sees and has had no complaints.
Does anyone have any experiance with xcaliber barrels? I cant remember i think he said around $230 for ss.

So a few qwestions
1in 9 twist for 160 gn bullets?
I am thinking a #5 conture the smith said it would come out to around 10#. Thats dam heavy ??? I dont see any alternitive though.

This gun has been my only big game rifle since I was 20. I love it the real reason for the break is my son will use it next year for elk. He is 14 and shoots a 7mm/08 currently. This year we had a late season cow tag and getting in range for his gun seemed impossable in hard packed snow.

Thanks,
Reid

Last edited:
It is very similar to the Ackley version. Kreiger is an excellent choice. I have never heard anyone complain about them. My rifle is right at 15# bare. It is a little excessive for a packing rifle for sure. Especially when you add optics and all the other gear. I think a #5 would be just great. Even a #4 would be good and cut a little more weight. The more weight the better you will shoot at longer range though, as you already know I'm sure, just something to think about when making your decision. It all depends on what you want.
You don't need a 9" twist for that bullet. But, what if you get a bug one day and want to run something heavier? It will shoot the 150-160 just fine, but allow you to run heavier if you want. I went with the idea of myself being to weakest link in the shooting system and overbuilt my rifle for my capabilities at the time. I am a far better marksman today because it has made me want to push myself to see what the rifle is capable of. You are on the right track I think. Pick what fits you and your son best and have fun with it.

Grrr lol I have been racking my brain for a while now. Talked with the smith again today, going to meet him friday to pay for and order the barrel. Was thinking about having it fluted to try and save weight. He said another hundred his guess anyway, and basically talked me out of it. Asked about a #4 he didn't think that was a great idea either. Said 28 is too long for a lighter barrel. Im looking at a bell and carlson alaskan light weight stock for 250 ish ???? Wondering about balance (Pros and cons????)(On everything please) My stepdad thinks im an idiot lol. He has every lazaroni they make or made in rem 700s. Maybe he realizes my ability and the fact that I have ADD when it comes to my interests. (He Wanted me to trade my browning xs skeet cause I haven't shot for a few months lol) I know that every gun I own can out shoot me.(or his way of showing regret for the money he spent)

Then there are optics??s, I currently have a 3x9 50mm vx2 on it and want to swap with my 6.5 x 20 vx3 thats on my 22/250 varmet gun. Thanks for your input BJH

I would go with a #5, fluted or non fluted. I've got several of that contour. One out to 28" finished barrel + brake in a 7mag and it shoots great. Never had issues. It's a Lilja #5.

As far as stocks I would get something sturdy rather than light. I like stocks with aluminum frames and/or bedded with pillars. My favorite "budget" stock is a Greybull Precision. It's a really good "all around" performer for me. I've got 2, and have friends with a few more and they've all done well. No issues.

Build yourself a nice 8.5-10lb rifle. That seems to be a good weight for a "do all" in my book. Most stocks with a #5 contour barrel and scope will land somewhere in that range.

Muscle brake or Holland brake gets my recommendation. Get a thread protector too and then you can shoot it without the brake if you want.

Good luck with your build.

I agree with the gentleman above. A #5 contour would be ideal. Personally I don't think a 28" is totally necessary, but you need to get what you want all around if your putting the money down for a build. I have an HS Precision stock. It is the sendero style with the heavy palm swell. I really like the stock for weight and performance. As above also, get a stock with aluminum bedding blocks. It makes for a solid platform when bedded correctly. The Bell and Carlson stocks are good. Go with a Medalist or one of their higher end ones. Check out the selection at Stocky's. There are so many options it can make a guys head swim. That will give you a great idea of what materials are available and what you like. As far as optics..get the best you can that is withing your budget. In my opinion, the optics are at the top of the list when building a rifle. I have the Nightforce 5.5-22x50 and can't say enough good about it. I have owned almost all of the major brands and it's by far my favorite..clarity, function, and strength are absolutely the best! But again, stay within your budget. There are several great options. Vortex is great with lots of options. Leopold is tried and true. Just figure out what you can afford and go for it. Sounds like you are almost there man. I hope you get all you are looking for! To the point of guns being capable of more than you...that is exactly what you want. Learn and improve each time you go because you have something that enables you to do so.

Well met with the smith today, I payed for and he ordered the barrel 29" #5 contour from kreiger (unfluted 1 in 9 twist). I also ordered the stock bell and carlson m40 varmet (the smith had a 270 improved in a #5 contour on a hs precision varmet stock) although I didnt pack it but it felt great, I think it will be fine. I ordered the stock before I read the last two posts. I will look at the the grey bull might be able to cancel tomarrow morning. We discussed final length at 28" with the break would finish at about 29.25". I might decide on 27.5" but an inch on an already long barrel whats the diffrence (he makes his own break, most the gunsmiths around town buy them from him)

I am already having a few regrets lol. I didn't realize how attached I am to this gun, even the smith said it was in great shape and kind of a shame to tear it down. We talked about selling it and basicly decided I have a few months to look for a donor rifle for the action. Then I can rebarrel, sell, hand it down, or just keep it. (Love the trigger hope I can find an old donor with the same one)

Thanks again

Hmm think I will cancel the order on the stock in the morning. I haven't read anything positive about it and alot of people seem to be selling them. Oh well I have a few months to make a desision.

I think you'll be happy with that Kreiger. My STW has one and I've had great luck with it. Just shy of 1100 rounds on it now and it's still doing good.

I can't say anything bad about that stock because I've never held one but don't underestimate a good stock. When I only had factory wood stocks I could never figure out why people paid for customs/aftermarket until I got my first one.

Well I canceled the order first thing this morning. Funny my smith called a few hours later, he new a guy who was selling 2 HS presision stocks both off of senderos, one with the palm swell one without. $200 for the one with out, it now has a new owner, problem solved.

I went pawn shoping today hoping to find a 700 that was run over by a truck. No luck lol. Absolutley crazy pawn shop prices, however I did find an older model 70 300 win mag 80 ish my guess with the stock cut down to around 11", it still had the cut off piece shrink wraped with a slide on recoil pad. The gun was in great shape, they were asking $285 and came down to $225. I left it there with regret, I called a friend to let him know, he has been looking for a deal for his son. He goes in and offers $220 they say no and counter with $250 " you are the second guy who has looked at it today" the guy tells him. We are both going down tomarrow lol. ( the girl I was talking to had no idea why anyone would ever cut a gun stock I almost laughed but that short on a 300, I have to agree.)

Sounds great! Let us know how it turns out. Good luck and enjoy that new gun!

I found my donor today. It is an sps stainless 338 win, it is rocky mountain elk foundation gun, it looks brand new but a scope base has been removed ($475). This will save me on sericoating, and the bottom plate ($200) (as compared to buying a walmart donor at $377). Any idea as to value of a tear off barrel and stock, stock is green with black? The gun has been sent back for the recall, Is the trigger a *** ( should I replace it ??) I am not great at math but?? I think this is a no brainer. Any thoughts on a trigger (can it be worked?) My smith seems reluctant as to the original remington 700 trigger, ( he has good reason after( you know)), he told me how to care for it (said lighter fluid to clean and keep it clean, on my current stw it is really light in his opinion, I think it is less than 2 #) .

I think the Remington 700 might be going up in price, the guy at walmart told me that he had a notice, that they are to be cleared out. I asked him if it was because of th 783, he said he thought that it would be all remingtons (he said that they might be marking them down soon). I wonder if the ADL is going away in favor of the 783?

Well in my opinion the barrel and stock are pretty much scraps. If you find someone who needs that exact barrel it might be worth $100?? Depending on the condition of the chamber and riflings. The stock.. $50-$75 maybe? Just depends on rather you know someone who needs and wants that stuff.

Triggers- A good build deserves a good trigger (Jewell). They can be set to whatever weight of pull you prefer and are the best trigger I have personally ever used. They are pricey, but so is building a custom rifle, and they are worth every penny! Function flawlessly with no over travel or creep, crisp clean break. I have several and have them set from 14oz. to 2.5# and there is no other trigger I have used that compares to a Jewell. Check them out.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.