Looking to get a Dillon progressive press for high volume pistol mainly but some 223/556 as well.

Pistol 750, rifle 550. I am not sure Dillon still makes the 650. Auto index is not your friend loading rifle ammo. Also, auto index does not really speed up production all that much. The output limitation is primers, having to put a new tube on or refill the one you are using, spare tubes makes a big difference to increased output. Emptying the loaded round tray is the next limiting factor. For pistol loading auto case feed helps a great deal.

If I wanted one to do both it would definitely be the 550.

I started IPSC back in '76 and reloaded on a Rock Chucker press. By the mid 80's I've got a 550 I used for most of my reloading when production was important. I then inherated a 1050 (not Super) from my buddy when he passed. I would recomend the 1050 if your brass is military and you need to remove the crimp, otherwise I would recomene the new 750 with the sensors, for safety reasons.

I have been using Dillon presses since 85'

A few things:

*Brian Enos has not sold Dillon presses for a few yrs now.

*Get on the Brian Enos forum and ask the question and do your research there. Most of us shoot high vol and compete. There is no group of people more experienced on dillon presses outside Dillon's own techs.

*Be sure you give them the total number of cartridges you plan now and future to load for. Also very critical how many rounds between switch calibers and how many rds per yr of each for total vol.

*As I understand it, your volume will be a few hundred rounds per session per cartridge. Say 300-400 of each caliber? 9mm, 45acp, and 5.56. How many rds of each do you plan to go thru per year? 400, 1000, 2000?

*Who here is still thinking a 1050/1100 level machine is a good recommendation for this kind of volume!?! I SURELY DON'T

One advantage to the 550C is cartridge size. Another 2 are utter simplicity and rock solid reliability with little to no tinkering to work well. Cost also. It can load from the tiny 32w sizes all the way thru the lapua mag and weatherby cases. It's manual indexing. The only upgrade I ever really did was adapted a hornady lnl bench rest version powder measure which did wonders for throw variation and allowed Lyman-M type expanders. Also got rid of that dillon fail safe road contraption.

What the XL750 gets you is more automation. Case feeder and bullet feeder options $$$ and of course auto indexing. But not the HUGE cost increase for caliber conversions and time of the 1050/1100 models. But you do have to tweak these 650/750 presses to get the best out of them. There were a number that are nice.

Based on your level of loading there is no way you would want to be using and pay for a 1050/1100 press. You could get a fully decked out 550 quick change sets dies etc just for the cost of the conversions for the 1050.

You would be happy with a 750. It would give room to grow if you are confident that will be the case. But there is a bit more tweaking for the auto indexing smoothness but that may have been addressed in the 750. More complex. But likely the most used by 3 gunners and other lower vol competitors

The best way to do 5.56 is setup two plates one for case prep and one for loading and do a 2 stage run thru.

My current ideal would be a 1050/1100 for 5.56 and another dedicated for 9mm. With a CP2k for case prep. 550 for 308 and load dev on all high vol cartridges. I use inline hand dies for all my precision stuff.

No way I pay for a 1050 if my vol was underr 10k/cal yr

Imo you NEED a 550c but you may want/desire a XL750. Just when looking at prices do not forget all those accessories and conversion parts and dies. It adds up very quickly.

BTW you can adapt the hornady powder measure to the 750 but it may not fit if you add case feeder.

A few things:

*Get on the Brian Enos forum and ask the question and do your research there. Most of us shoot high vol and compete. There is no group of people more experienced on dillon presses outside Dillon's own techs.

*Be sure you give them the total number of cartridges you plan now and future to load for. Also very critical how many rounds between switch calibers and how many rds per yr of each for total vol.

*As I understand it, your volume will be a few hundred rounds per session per cartridge. Say 300-400 of each caliber? 9mm, 45acp, and 5.56. How many rds of each do you plan to go thru per year? 400, 1000, 2000?

*Who here is still thinking a 1050/1100 level machine is a good recommendation for this kind of volume!?! I SURELY DON'T

One advantage to the 550C is cartridge size. Another 2 are utter simplicity and rock solid reliability with little to no tinkering to work well. Cost also. It can load from the tiny 32w sizes all the way thru the lapua mag and weatherby cases. It's manual indexing. The only upgrade I ever really did was adapted a hornady lnl bench rest version powder measure which did wonders for throw variation and allowed Lyman-M type expanders. Also got rid of that dillon fail safe road contraption.

What the XL750 gets you is more automation. Case feeder and bullet feeder options $$$ and of course auto indexing. But not the HUGE cost increase for caliber conversions and time of the 1050/1100 models. But you do have to tweak these 650/750 presses to get the best out of them. There were a number that are nice.

Based on your level of loading there is no way you would want to be using and pay for a 1050/1100 press. You could get a fully decked out 550 quick change sets dies etc just for the cost of the conversions for the 1050.

You would be happy with a 750. It would give room to grow if you are confident that will be the case. But there is a bit more tweaking for the auto indexing smoothness but that may have been addressed in the 750. More complex. But likely the most used by 3 gunners and other lower vol competitors

The best way to do 5.56 is setup two plates one for case prep and one for loading and do a 2 stage run thru.

My current ideal would be a 1050/1100 for 5.56 and another dedicated for 9mm. With a CP2k for case prep. 550 for 308 and load dev on all high vol cartridges. I use inline hand dies for all my precision stuff.

Imo you NEED a 550c but you may want/desire a XL750. Just when looking at prices do not forget all those accessories and conversion parts and dies. It adds up very quickly.

BTW you can adapt the hornady powder measure to the 750 but it may not fit if you add case feeder.

I got the 1050 when I was practicing and competing with between 500 and 750 a weekend. I lived with the 550 shooting between 250 to 500 a weekend.

I got the 1050 when I was practicing and competing with between 500 and 750 a weekend. I lived with the 550 shooting between 250 to 500 a weekend.
That makes perfect sense and about what my use was. 30-40k per yr. No question that is the press to have for vol like that.

A few things:

thanks for the info. I mainly shoot pistol and occasionally reload for 223/556. I have a back yard range so I shoot pretty often but not tons of ammo each time I go out. I probably average 2,000-4,000 rounds a year between 9mm, 45acp, 40cal and 44mag. I reload for all of them currently on my single stage. As for 223/556, I do not do super high volume so I don't mind keeping that on single stage if I had too.

You will then do fine with the 550. Coming from a single stage you will be in heaven. The only reason I can see to go to the 750 is if you have an honest belief your vol will go up considerably. Even then the 550 is still no slouch. Its amazing after a few times the tempo you can keep as you get comfortable using both hands. Set bullet at the same time seat cast pull turn repeat.

For a few thousand rounds a year the 550 would be my recommendation. I reload 5-8k a year and do just fine with a Rockchucker for the big stuff (7mag and 338 Edge), a Dillon 550 set up for large primers (708,10mm, 45acp,22-250,243 and 30-06 ) and a second Dillon set up for small primers (380,9mm, 204,223 223ai, 20ppc and 6.5 grendel) a few sets of shell plates really speeds up changeing rounds!

I have had a dillion 550 for 22 years .I actually wore out my first one and dillion replaced it free .The primer system is the biggest problem with them they can be picky.I don't like loading 223 because of so many cases that have crimped primers which are a big pain .My mini 14 target rifie liked the hornady match 75 grain 1/2 inch 100 yard groups .I have even loaded tons of 416 rem mag and 338-378 weatherby on it .You can pick up a used one for about half price which is a bargain. I JUST bought a second one so I didn't have to change from large to small primers. EBAY HAS a primer guide for the 550 that is supose to be way better and easier .Dillion has a service department second to none they are awesome !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.