Looking to get a Dillon progressive press for high volume pistol mainly but some 223/556 as well.

Good point on high volume. I guess what I meant is hundreds of rounds. Not thousands. I currently load on a single stage press and it really stinks spending so much time loading my pistol and 556 only to blow it all quickly at the range. So maybe a 550 will be good compromise between costs versus a 750xl but still faster than single stage press.
I have a 550b and can crank out quite a few rounds an hour when I put my mind to it . I also have a Lyman Crusher and use that for depriming and priming when I'm in no rush . I've thought of getting a 650 but I'm not sure I wasnt to invest that much on new accessories.

I had two RL550 machines when I owned a small business named Thor Bullets & Ammunition. I used these two machines to load 380 auto, 9 mm, 38 Super, 357 Magnum, 45 ACP and 223. When I got in a good rhythm I could crank out 900 rounds in an hour. I kept one machine set up for small primers and one for large primers. I also had an old Dillon RL1000 set up for 38 Special. I could crank out 1300 rounds per hour on it. And had two old Dillon RL450 machines with powder dump conversion kits on them. I did 41 and 44 magnums on these. Those were good old days back then. I was either hunting or shooting USPSA or casting bullets or loading ammunition. Most everything was a write-off. Did great until the price of lead shot up when the Feds shut down using lead for waterfowl.

I have a RCBS Rockchucker, two 550's and a 650. I would recommend the Dillon 550 for ease of change out and I if you want to hand weigh some charges.

I have a pair of 550 Dillons. They were converted from 450s I bought before there was a 550. I leave them set up as small and large primer machines. and have about 25 heads loaded with dies and powder measures. Super fast changeover times. Very happy with them. If I had faster Dillions I am sure I would be very happy with them too. Don't expect the latest high speed low drag whizz bang speed demons to double your production! Even with the 550 I spend much more time on case prep and inspection than running the machine. I can get 300 rounds per hour of match grade ammo and 400 if I go at it like killing snakes but that does not include loading primer tubes, inspection, case lube or prep. Have had many brave men back off to watch from a more comfortable distance when I load a primer tube at warp speed. Somehow I never set one off but I am a lot more careful these days now that I have had plenty of time to think about what I was doing.

You can't go wrong buying one of the used 650 or 1050 offered in the previous posts. Dillon are seriously buy once cry once and then buy a second one smiling. Brian Enos forum is a great place to compare features bd get advice.

If you already have a Rockchucker then you're covered for precision rifle reloading. I have a Dillon 650XL purchased 15+ years ago. I'm looking to get a second machine now and can't decide between the 750 and a 1050. I don't do serious volume, usually 200-500 rounds at a time. But I switch calibers a lot between pistol and rifle so I want to have a dedicated AR platform machine and a dedicated pistol loading machine. And there's been a lot of improvements in machine in the last 15 years. So get a machine you can upgrade over time, After you get a feel for what you really need. A case feeder and a bullet feeder are really nice features. But you don't need them at the start.

Last edited:
I'd look at the new 2000 or 1100. I'd get as automated as possible if bulk is what you want. I cranked out 100 rounds of 9mm in about 5 minutes, just chugging away on my 650. Go big Bluenor go home. 550 is great for small ammo runs, or precision reloading, just hand drop all the powder charges. But for bulk stay away from the 550.

Seems like a trend, two 550s here as well. I have a rockchucker on a pedestal in the front room and deprime with it but that's it, for my level of shooting I found I was getting better repeatability out of my 550 faster/more accurately than swapping dies on the rockchucker. One 550 is set up for small primer and one for large. I would like a 650 for the swager but I got a pocket swager used a while back and that solved that problem and took away my excuse. If I'm going for my best reloads I take off the powder drop and measure every charge but I don't do that much.

All,

I am looking to possibly get into a Dillon progressive press mainly for higher volume pistol purposes (9mm and 45acp) but will also load for highish volume 223/556.. There are potential laws coming to NY to possibly restrict the amount of ammo a person can purchase so this is partly in anticipation of that. Yes I wish I could leave NY but that is not in the cards right now. Which Dillon press should I be looking into getting? Which add-ons are super nice to haves and which ones can I live with out? Thank you!

I have had a Dillion 650 for over 20 years and love it. I would go with the new 750 though as they improved the primer feed system over the 650. It is a lot of money up front but is a real time saver. I do not go insanely fast when loading. I know I produce about 400-450 rnds an hour at my slow and steady pace and this is with the case feed. I could go faster but that is where mistakes are made. This is with pistol ammo. With rifle I have never done hudge volumes of ammo.

I've ran the 550, 650 and the 1050. If you are talking hundreds of rounds stay away from the 1050. I've loaded over six thousands of just 9mm on the 550 and keep busy out 3-400 in a couple hours of just leisurely pulling the handle. I load about 7 calibers on it now and looking to add more. The tooling is must cheaper for the 550 and trust me, you will find a way to load more calibers once you go progressive. The 650 is a great higher volume option but tooling is more expensive. The 1050 and I'm surprised no one mentioned it, seats the primer on the down stroke so you have absolutely no feel on the prime seating pressure. To me, the feel of primer seating is very important from a reliability perspective as well as a safety perspective. I fact the 1050 is the model that gets the primer tube detonation issues. It's never just one prime that goes. Yes it's contained in the steel outer tube but you will be down until you get replacement parts and change your underwear. I've seen one go and it's freaking scary!! I loaded over 12k 556 rounds on the 1050 and I'll never use one again. Not sure if it was a bad one but it was finicky for me and has probably made me highly opinionated on them. Dillon is a great company by the way!

If I had to pick one feature as a must have for a reloader it would be interchangeable tool heads. You might be wondering why the hell I have 25 tools heads loaded with dies and powder measures. I have multiple heads of the same caliber set up for specific rifles or pistols and bullets. When I find an accurate load I label that tool head and dedicate it to that one load for that one weapon.

If I had to pick one feature as a must have for a reloader it would be interchangeable tool heads. You might be wondering why the hell I have 25 tools heads loaded with dies and powder measures. I have multiple heads of the same caliber set up for specific rifles or pistols and bullets. When I find an accurate load I label that tool head and dedicate it to that one load for that one weapon.
I'm like you. I have a 38 Special set up for my revolver, one set up for my AWA rifle (real touchy on seating depth), then I have one set up for 357 Mag and one for 357 Max. Never have to change a setting, just swap out tool heads. Toolheads and dies are cheap in most cases and over the years I have picked up aplenty.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts