Looking to get a Dillon progressive press for high volume pistol mainly but some 223/556 as well.

Bigeclipse

All,

I am looking to possibly get into a Dillon progressive press mainly for higher volume pistol purposes (9mm and 45acp) but will also load for highish volume 223/556.. There are potential laws coming to NY to possibly restrict the amount of ammo a person can purchase so this is partly in anticipation of that. Yes I wish I could leave NY but that is not in the cards right now. Which Dillon press should I be looking into getting? Which add-ons are super nice to haves and which ones can I live with out? Thank you!

All,

I am looking to possibly get into a Dillon progressive press mainly for higher volume pistol purposes (9mm and 45acp) but will also load for highish volume 223/556.. There are potential laws coming to NY to possibly restrict the amount of ammo a person can purchase so this is partly in anticipation of that. Yes I wish I could leave NY but that is not in the cards right now. Which Dillon press should I be looking into getting? Which add-ons are super nice to haves and which ones can I live with out? Thank you!
I have the Dillon 550. You could buy the fully dressed version with all the accessories or save some money and buy them individually. The 550 is a solid machine. Well built. Fully adjustable. You have to turn the turret yourself for each round but I think it gives you better control of the process especially if you Have a loading issue such as bad brass etc. The low primer alarm feature is a must. The Low powder alarm not so much. You'll appreciate the trays in the long run. I use mine for all my pistol cartridges as well as 30-30 and 45-70. Where everything starts to cost is the cartridge specific items you need when you make a change. Shell holders, dies, powder measure, etc. The 550 turns out really precise rounds. Bullet seating and powder measuring is really accurate. Good luck.

I have both the 550 and 650. Want a 750, but can't justify the expense, already having a 650. Anyway, I've basically moved all my pistol reloading to the 650. On the 650 for pistols, the powder check is a must. I load most of the rifle on the 550.
One thing to consider is that if you're a high volume shooter/reloader, case prep on the 650 is awesome. I prep both pistol and rifle on the 650. You can set it up to decap, size, swage, trim to length all on the same tool head.
Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either one. The 650 is a little more versatile, though.

I use a 550, it it a great machine. I load all of my pistol ammo on it as well as my squirrel/ prairrie dog ammo with it. Produces excellent ammo on both rifle/pistol. I do load my rifles different though. I do all of my sizing and brass work (priming)on a single stage then run the rest through the dillon. They dump powder very consistently (with the correct ball powder). Just use good dies and everything will be good. I recommend Dillon dies for the pistols.

I bought a 550 about 12 years ago for 9mm/45acp comp shooting. Then .223 comp. Look up Brian Enos- his website has A LOT of good packages for Dillon "as it should be" setups. Quick change tool heads, primer alarm, the rolling handle on the pull arm, strong mount, bullet trays...I would at least get all of those. https://brianenos.com/dillon-2/#550

I like the 550 because it doesn't auto index like the 650- this makes single stage loading easier, which I do for 6.5x47, .308, .300wm, 243win, and 6.5-284. I have all my dies setup on quick change tool heads so it's fast changing cartridges. I do my powder off the press using scales and powder dispensers, and I resize/seat on the press.

I have since bought a rock chucker I use for single stage loading of .270win, 280 Sherman, and soon to be 30-06AI, and I use it for decapping everything rifle.

Last edited:
I have 2 650's and a Super 1050 and love them. I would recommend the 650 do to the ease of changing calibers. I would suggest getting the alarms that warn of low components and check for powder. Get the case feeder. Set a bullet, pull the lever and make a round. The powder measure works great makes very consistent loads.

I use 4 Super 1050 ( 38 Super Comp,9mm,40S&W,45acp) I change out heads on 45 for 308 and 38SC for 223! Have used them for loading for several years for 3-gun and USPSA, when I competed most weekends when I wasn't on call time was short and I needed high volume! Most loading today on Forester Coax and Rock Chucker!
If you need large volume then a couple 1050s otherwise a 650.

All,

Perhaps you could define "higher volume"?. I have two 550s. One for 45 ACP and 38/357 and the other for rifle. I can get about 300 RDS per hour (adding primers and cases and clearing the occasional opps when the wife calls me away) For a higher volume look at the 650. Rifle goes slower when I use extruded powder since it tends to bridge in the powder chute so I weigh each throw.
Oh yes California is probably worst then NY when it comes to buying loaded rounds. Must pay a fee to buy and then fill out voluminous paperwork. :-(

Perhaps you could define "higher volume"?. I have two 550s. One for 45 ACP and 38/357 and the other for rifle. I can get about 300 RDS per hour (adding primers and cases and clearing the occasional opps when the wife calls me away) For a higher volume look at the 650. Rifle goes slower when I use extruded powder since it tends to bridge in the powder chute so I weigh each throw.
Oh yes California is probably worst then NY when it comes to buying loaded rounds. Must pay a fee to buy and then fill out voluminous paperwork. :-(
Good point on high volume. I guess what I meant is hundreds of rounds. Not thousands. I currently load on a single stage press and it really stinks spending so much time loading my pistol and 556 only to blow it all quickly at the range. So maybe a 550 will be good compromise between costs versus a 750xl but still faster than single stage press.

get carbide dillon 223 dies ..

For progressive reloading of .223, get the Dillon full carbide sizer. 223 brass is the toughest brass to resize, you will virtually eliminate stuck cases in the sizing die with the Dillon carbide sizer.

When offered advice for .223 progressive reloading, as the poster if they actually reload .223 on a progressive. Everyone who does knows about the sizing problem.

All,

I have a friend looking to sell his I don't know what model or what add-ons but he has nice equipment top dollar items the ones that I do know about give him a call his name is Dave . [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts