Looking to get a Dillon progressive press for high volume pistol mainly but some 223/556 as well.

All,

I am looking to possibly get into a Dillon progressive press mainly for higher volume pistol purposes (9mm and 45acp) but will also load for highish volume 223/556.. There are potential laws coming to NY to possibly restrict the amount of ammo a person can purchase so this is partly in anticipation of that. Yes I wish I could leave NY but that is not in the cards right now. Which Dillon press should I be looking into getting? Which add-ons are super nice to haves and which ones can I live with out? Thank you!

I have a Dillon 650XL and could not be happier. Once it is set up and running, it's pull the handle and a bullet drops into the holding tray; using carbide dies. The only process that I have to do is set a bullet in the mouth of the casing after the case is charged with powder. Good system.

Last edited:
I have a 650 and a 1050 (non-super).

I use the 1050 for 223 and 9mm, for the simple reason of the primer pocket swager that is built in. This way I can use range brass without having to swage it before putting it in the case feeder. Also, for 223, the Dillon carbide sizer is great. Not only is it very smooth it is also very close to being a small base die, which is another plus for using range brass from unknown chambers. For my 9mm, I have a bullet feeder also. I can load 9mm as quick as I can work the press handle. I preload several tubes of primers and start in. Get a Bullet feeder and an automated way to fill primer tubes. The only low alert use is for the primers.

The 650 gets used for all my precision rifle loading. I use Redding or Whidden dies and Whidden floating tool heads. Makes great ammo! I do not use the powder dropper, I take the brass off the press at the seating station, wipe off lube, add powder (the autotrickler is waiting on me to get the next round ready) and then replace and seat a bullet. The one thing I don't like about this, and one of two reasons I got the 1050, is with the 650, to seat the primer you have to shove the handle forward past neutral. This and the swager are why I got the 1050. Loading long VLDs in standard magnum rounds (7RM and 338WM) the seating die can get finicky and not let go of the tip to allow round to advance. If it's not standard, get the wide base, case feeder, Whidden tool heads if you are going to do precision rounds, and a bullet feeder if you are looking for high volume. Uniquetek makes a lot of nice add-ons.

The 750 seems to have gone to the sliding bar like is on the 1050, rather than the wheel from the 650 which is a huge improvement.

I got my 1050 second hand off Enos' site. The individual was a high volume shooter, so I have no idea how old or how many rounds it has loaded. I've had it for 15-16 years. I got my 650 a few years before that.

I used to work in ammo development/ manufacturing. I'd get the 1050 for high volume cartridges that you're planning on loading for. But the 650 will be fine also and give you the option of loading standard rifle cartridges. The 1050 is just smoother and faster.

They quit making the 650. I was
at Dillon a few months ago and got to operate the new 750. This is a sweet set up. I already have 3 650's but sure would like to get a 750
Wow what a bummer. I see 650's on the market but I'd probably research reviews on the 750's.

I have two 550's. Just upgraded the frames to 550c (if you buy new you get the "C' model) to help on keeping it lubed, they started out as 550's years ago and were up graded over time. I also like the manual indexing and it my be slower than an auto-indexing 650/750 but I'm retired and have more time than money. 200 RPH is fine for me, but have done 300 RPH with out a probem if need be. I have one set up for large primer, one for small so I never need to change that. Changing the shell plate is not a big deal and just takes a few minutes. Love my 550's, but when my nephew asked for a recommendation I did steer him to the 650 with a case feeder because he does high volume pistol loading. He is a competitive shooter, me I'm a "fun" shooter and my I don't go through as many round as he does.
Check around for a good used one with extra "goodies". Have a friend here that has a 550 for sale with a bunch of extra toolheads with dies and caliber conversions. I just sold two 550b's for a club members widow for $300 each, one set up for 45 ACP the other in 223 Remington (Dillon dies).
Dillon stands behind their products forever and their service department is top notch. Their dies are in the same boat.

Last edited:
Ask if it is a newer model with lube points. I have both and it is a PITA to disassemble and lube the older model.
epags
Dillon sells the new 550 frame (and it is a new frame to upgrade to the "C) for $100. So keep that in if when buy used.

Last edited:
I have a Dillon 650XL and could not be happier. Once it is set up and running, it's pull the handle and a bullet drops into the holding tray; using carbide dies. The only process that I have to do is set a bullet in the mouth of the casing after the case is charged with powder. Good system.
Or you can add a Mr. Bulletfeeder, then all you need to do is pull the handle.

Last edited:
I have two 650s set up for pistol ammo (.45 ACP and .40 S&W). I loved them when I was doing a lot of pistol shooting, but I've gotten out of the IDPA game and gotten into bench rest rifle. I don't have any of the extras like the Strong mount, roller handle or case feeder, which you would want if you do really high volume. I guess it's time to sell one of them. I'd take $500 for one with dies. PM me if interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.