Looking for some help/opinion 28 nosler hammer bullets

Yup, like Steve says, speed kills

You may loose just a bit if you are at sea level but its gonna be close

If you want to stay abovec1500 ft lbs. It gets you out near 800, it it still retains 1000ft lbs to around 1000 yards

I was trying to guess at the G1 bc by looking at other bullets with comparable G7 but I guess I was way off. What does the G1 come out to be? I don't have a ballistic calculator that I can enter G7.

View attachment 127564 I can punch in better numbers later (this data was already in my phone) , but at 3380fps here is the strelok drop chart at "max range" for the hh bullets-- steve says keep 1800fps or better for hunting

1st row is yardage, 2nd is speed, 3rdd is energy, 4th is drop in moa, 5th is wind in moa for a 10nph wind-- mind you this is at 6500msl but the bullet would get you to 1100- 1200 yards for hunting conditions and still expand.

This is the table I generated using the calculator posted above. Which is way less that what you have. Did I not enter something correct? Or did you use a high elevation and that makes that much difference? I'm only at 880 ft/lb at 1000 yards

upload_2019-3-22_7-22-57.png

I punched the numbers into the applied ballistics app and 900y is 1803fps with 1046 ft lbs-- 1000 is 1659/886

My strelok pro app uses my actual weather info at the time of sight in using my weather/wind meter, the applied ballistics app is not asking for altitude, but it does use air density of .07639 so it uses sea level as a default

I threw some quick numbers into shooterscalculator.com for a 3rd reference point and at sea level 1000y- 20.67moa drop, 6.23 moa drift, 1686fps, 915 ft lbs
At 6500msl- 1000y-- 18.44 drop, 4.77 drift, 1943 fps, 1215ft lbs

Each calculator is slightly different but in short --YES-- altitude does make a difference-- I hunt from 6000 to 10050 and I use different charts for higher altitudes and check my zero when large changes in altitude happen

Also, bullets have a higher stability factor at my altitude due to lower air density, etc

I have a 7 STW and shoot both the 143 and 177 gr Hammer Hunters. But, I have a 1:8 twist. You won't be able to stabilize some of the heavier bullets. Don't bother with the 175 ELDX since it won't stabilize with your twist. My old barrel was a 1:9.25 and I wasted my time trying to get them to shoot.
According to Steve, the 177 gr bullet starts to outperform the 143 around 800 yards, so you don't lose anything unless you're really reaching out there. There's another guy on this site that shot a cow elk around 800 yards with his RUM and the 143 gr. Said it was destroyed the vitals. Shoot Steve an email, and he'll help you get where you want to go. He's helped me a ton. I shoot his Hammers in 6 different cartridges.

Thanks for all the replies. I talked to Steve earlier in the week and just placed my order for both the 155 Hammer hunter in .284 for my 28 Nosler as well as 124 Hammer hunter in .264 for my creedmoor. No more fooling around trying to get other bullets to shoot to my satisfaction. I know the HH will perform.

With the JBM don't check the "pressure is corrected" or the "standard atmosphere at altitude". Put in your estimated altitude, leave the 29.92 pressure, input the temp and humidity (best guess). This will give you closer to realistic numbers.

Sorry I was so late finding this thread. I think it sorted out well.

I personally will error my bullet choice on higher stability and limit my range accordingly. The 155g Hammer Hunter Should work in the 9" twist slightly under stabilized.

3380 fps with the 143g Hammer Hunter in the 28n is on the slow side, but some rifles are just that way. We generally see 3500 fps give or take with the 143g HH. 3400 fps give or take with the 155g HH. Nosler brass seems quite soft and shows pressure easily. The ejector mark seems to be there on most loads.

I know some guys have done very well with Retumbo.

With the JBM don't check the "pressure is corrected" or the "standard atmosphere at altitude". Put in your estimated altitude, leave the 29.92 pressure, input the temp and humidity (best guess). This will give you closer to realistic numbers.

Sorry I was so late finding this thread. I think it sorted out well.

I personally will error my bullet choice on higher stability and limit my range accordingly. The 155g Hammer Hunter Should work in the 9" twist slightly under stabilized.

3380 fps with the 143g Hammer Hunter in the 28n is on the slow side, but some rifles are just that way. We generally see 3500 fps give or take with the 143g HH. 3400 fps give or take with the 155g HH. Nosler brass seems quite soft and shows pressure easily. The ejector mark seems to be there on most loads.

I know some guys have done very well with Retumbo.

Thanks Steve. I can't wait to get them in and see how it goes. Like we talked about and got a laugh in, I'm old school and it's a habit to look at the back of the case upon ejecting. I'm just not used to seeing the heavy marks in the brass. I'm trying to get some ADG brass but until then I need to just quit looking. lol I am going to try the Retumbo since I'm in Texas and hunt exotics in the summer when it's 100 degrees and I have seen pressure changes with the RL26 at those high temps.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.