Looking for some feedback on primer seating tools

Im thinking about the Primal Rights CPS tool, but it seems perpetually out of stock….I may wait and put my sheckles together.
CPS - Competition Primer Seater
The price sucks but the tool is very high quality and to me was worth it. I got the extended knob add-on for my incredibly small, and very damaged hands and put it on an Inline Fab plate on my bench and rolls through batches. I went all-in and got the digital PrimeWhere set up and DoubleAlpha tube filler to go with it

I just did 200 cases with it tonight and none of my fingers went numb - there's not a hand primer in the world that could do that for me, no matter how good it is.

Maybe some of the bench primers would be sufficient, but what the hell it's still cheaper than a decent scope.

Thats what I use too. Was just thinking tonight how the primers were seated a little bit inconsistantly, but I dont think that bothers on a hunting load.
Does not bother it one bit either for all my loads down in low 2 digit and single digit es and sub .6" groups. People can spend as much money and time as they want to. I seem able to make it work for me.

So, I called CCI today. Asked their tech about how to seat a primer for best accuracy. I was told, Seat until you feel the anvil touch, then just a bit more until you feel it give. That should be 0.005-0.008. I asked if there was accuracy to be gained by controlling that to a high level. I was told, No. If it goes off, I'm getting the same thing seated perfectly, or just well enough to fire. It was purely a feel thing to the tech…..not a precision guided measurement.

I asked about hand vs bench priming tools. I was told both are fine, as long as I can generate the force to feel the anvil touch and then give beyond that point.

We started talking about breaking the compound. I was told that is a bad thing, but that it takes a lot of force. Maybe not possible with a hand tool, but possible with a bench tool if I'm putting my weight into it!

I called Holland's. I asked why they make the tool they make with a stop and depth measuring device. They said the std RCBS tool works, but some people use too much force and break the primer. They see that in their reloading class. So they made their adapter with a hardened steel handle. She warned me that if I put my body weight into it that I can still break something. (She doesn't know me, but I'm 330lbs. If I'm doing chin-ups on a priming tool, I've got some real issues!)

I reached out to Federal also. Waiting on a call back. I would like to get more info related to more benchrest mindset, so I will probably ask and refer to my 6PPC. It's all the same to me, but when you say hunting rifle, it is hard to communicate that my hunting rifle is built as well as my 6PPC! FWIW, my 6PPC is a Hall M, Jewell, Schneider barrel, Hall stock glue in with a Sightron 45x.

This tool is easy to use even with 60 year old, arthritic hands it will do large or small primers comes with almost all shell holders you would ever need plus you do not single feed, and it is depth controllable at a great price. What more can you ask for?View attachment 425672
+100 Had a RCBS hand primer and this is WAY better more positive feeling when seating plus weight and feel of the unit itself...

Another note on hollands kit is i broke handle on mine 3-4 times right where they drill and tap the adjustment knob. Cps is definitely way to go with its fine increments and ergonomics but its exspensive. I will say there's plenty of professional shooters that will disagree with statements saying primer seating doesnt matter. Consistency matters especially in ignitition. But cps wins in doing it fast, consistently, accurately, ergonomically all way around. I personally crush primer .002 and works flawlessly. Plus the feedback on however greg got the ratio on handle is awesome you can really feel primer pockets.

Another note on hollands kit is i broke handle on mine 3-4 times right where they drill and tap the adjustment knob. Cps is definitely way to go with its fine increments and ergonomics but its exspensive.
Interesting. That could be the bugaboo of the Hollands kit. I figure it is something to try while I wait on a CPS to be available.

+100 Had a RCBS hand primer
I do think this is a great tool - I have two, and use them for one-off random things that I don't want to use the CPS for. They're stout and I don't think I'll ever put any wear on the unit. I like how you can switch out large and small primers easily, but they don't cost a ton and when I found someone selling a used one I snatched it up fast.

Talked to Federal. It was their tech's opinion that anvil touch plus a little more. I asked him to clarify that. He said he didn't have a number. Then he said their factory ammo target with their cases seat to about 0.006-0.008" below the surface.

We talked about how to do this. He mentioned limiting the seating to the point where the cup bottoms out. That is max. Min depth is obviously where the cup touches. I'm gonna need more force and more feel to get here!

I asked if they had any data to support depth vs accuracy. They did not.

I asked about the need to control depth. The feedback was to be consistent for consistency's sake. That is fine.
Since there are no CPS around, I will test drive the Hollands tool. It comes with good leverage and also a depth check tool. When the CPS becomes available, I'll have to decide if my testing needs to go that way.

Last edited:
I wish they would bring back the cps lite but all production is setup for the competition seater. I use the rcbs press mounted tool. Can set depth by screwing out the shell holder to the bottom of the stroke. The down side is having to touch the primer. So I use the hand priming tool to install them and seat them to depth in the press. It is terribly inefficient.