Looking for some feedback on primer seating tools

nksmfamjp

I have the K&M hand tool. It works. I can muscle them in pretty well, and I believe the setup to be consistent although I'm not sure how to get too deep into that.

The trouble is the muscle part. It kind of hurts. The lever arm is just not really ergo friendly in any way.

Im thinking about the Primal Rights CPS tool, but it seems perpetually out of stock….I may wait and put my sheckles together.

Im also seeing the Holland/RCBS tool at half the price….how is it? Is it smooth, consistent and capable of consistent seating similar to the primal rights tool?

Im also seeing the Forster bench seater. It looks solid. Ultimate Reloader seemed to think it was a good tool.

Whatever I get, I need it to be consistent enough to support some BR shooting with my 6PPC, hunting load development,

To me, that is something with high leverage, no dampening, high precision smooth mechanism, with an adjustable stop.

I just figure some people have tried several of the better ones and could share their experiences.

If you seat to bottom of pocket the standard rcbs bench tool is perfect. I cut all my pockets in case prep and seat by feel. Unless every rim is same thickness you'll never really have a consistent depth that way. Cutting depth based off case head and seating to bottom of pocket is more consistent.

I have the K&M hand tool. It works. I can muscle them in pretty well, and I believe the setup to be consistent although I'm not sure how to get too deep into that.

The trouble is the muscle part. It kind of hurts. The lever arm is just not really ergo friendly in any way.

Im thinking about the Primal Rights CPS tool, but it seems perpetually out of stock….I may wait and put my sheckles together.

Im also seeing the Holland/RCBS tool at half the price….how is it? Is it smooth, consistent and capable of consistent seating similar to the primal rights tool?

Im also seeing the Forster bench seater. It looks solid. Ultimate Reloader seemed to think it was a good tool.

Whatever I get, I need it to be consistent enough to support some BR shooting with my 6PPC, hunting load development,

To me, that is something with high leverage, no dampening, high precision smooth mechanism, with an adjustable stop.

I just figure some people have tried several of the better ones and could share their experiences.
This tool is easy to use even with 60 year old, arthritic hands it will do large or small primers comes with almost all shell holders you would ever need plus you do not single feed, and it is depth controllable at a great price. What more can you ask for?
image.jpg

I got a CPS from Grafs less than 2 weeks ago. They are OOS now, but keep a look there. When I emailed Greg recently to buy one, he directed me to Grafs. Also, keep an eye on Unknown Munitions. They had a handful of them around Christmas and are surprisingly OOS now too.

Another vote for the rcbs....I really like mine. I don't have experience with the Holland add-on but Darrell typically makes good stuff

I use a Lee press mounted priming tool. I have 2, large & small primer. I am satisfied with both, and seating depth is controlled. I seat primers so anvils touch, the Lee tool limits primer seating depth being adjusted for primer pocket depth.

Of intertest:

These academic guys measured primer blast waves. They used .308 Rem LRP brass & Lapua .308 SRP brass. Primer pockets were prepped to ensure uniform seating depths & uniform flash holes. They used a RCBS press to load primers into cases, most likely, the primer attachment that works when pulling up on press handle.

Results were shown:

Screenshot (546).png

As mentioned, wave forms had about same shapes, but blast peak pressure varied & same primer peak pressures varied with standard deviations from mean shown by Table 1. My thinking is - how will precision primer depth seating make for uniform peak pressures?

It was noted that more uniform velocities were obtained by using minimal primer peak blast pressures - like small primer in.308 & 6.5X47 Lapua match loads.

My thinking is that variations in peak pressures shown by differences in pressure measurements in kilo pascals would negate extra ordinary precision primer seating. Keeping in mind these academic guys proably never did bench rest or long-range precision shooting.

This tool is easy to use even with 60 year old, arthritic hands it will do large or small primers comes with almost all shell holders you would ever need plus you do not single feed, and it is depth controllable at a great price. What more can you ask for?View attachment 425672
I, too, have this set-up, as well as RCBS and Lee.

21st Century makes a priming tools that is the cats *ss. Single feed but the "feel" this priming tool provides is exceptional. 1/4 thou clicks, ergonomic, and easily used as well. American made too! I'm ecstatic with mine.

I have used and own many...... bought a Frankfort Arsenal a few years ago and use it mostly.... like 338 dude.....above....
They are built like a tank......
Good weapon if you run outa ammo
Just dont drop it on your toe.....

I use a Lee press mounted priming tool. I have 2, large & small primer. I am satisfied with both, and seating depth is controlled. I seat primers so anvils touch, the Lee tool limits primer seating depth being adjusted for primer pocket depth.
How do you do that? It appears to be a basic press priming tool. Good leverage, but no stop. How do you know when the anvil touches?