Looking for outfitter recommendations on hunting Africa.

Squatch

I am just starting to research an African hunt for 2025. Looking for some outfitter/ph recommendations. Thinking plains game for my first trip over there.

TIA

Reach out to Hanno Van Rensburg at https://www.authenticafricanadventures.org/ We hunted with him and staff in 2012 and of 4 of us with 16 animals taken, 12 of those were in the top 100 in the SCI record books. Prices were very fair and game, staff and food was all EXCELLENT! We took impalas, blesbok, gemsbok, waterbuck, blue wildebeest, kudu and duiker. We also took 2 beautiful Zebras.

Great accommodations, John and Roelof are fantastic hunters. While I have one plains game hunt with them that included a 60" kudu, between my father and two other guys I hunt with we have over 10 plus trips with this outfit.

Jill and I hunted with Eulalie Hunting Safaris when they first opened around 2006. We were very lucky and made a deal with the owner Isan to have the entire Lodge and hunting area just for Jill and I for the 8 days. I think he had access to 10,000 acres. Unbelievable HUNT. We took Seven Plains Game trophies.

You can't go wrong with the wonderful folks at Kowas Adventure Safaris in Namibia. It is family run operation that really treats people right. They have two hunting areas depending on whether you want to hunt plains game or dangerous game. I've hunted plains game with them in 2012, 2017 & 2021. My friends have hunted with them 4 - 5 times. The vast majority of their bookings are from repeat clients that return year after year. Reach out to Ansie or feel free to contact me with any questions. Whomever you choose, you will have the time of your life hunting in Africa. The only downside is that it might ruin you from hunting anywhere else! Steve M.

We hunted in Marken, SA . Never saw a plane/jet over head in the skies. The Lodge is located kind of on the side of large hill. You could see for miles and at night there wasn't a light from another house/dwelling at all. Would see hundreds of animals a day.
When we went Baboons. monkeys, smaller wild cats were FREE now you have to pay for a Permit.
Our trip without air fare for the (8) days (7) Animals Kudu, GemsBuck, Blesbuck, Bushbuck, Impala, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra was around $7,500 and another $6,800 ($5,080 for mounts and $1,600 for ship) for the Taxidermy and shipping them to our house in Georgia, USA. All head shoulder mounts except for the Zebra and the rear hides tanned.
Prices now on some animals are close to the same, but some are almost twice as much.
Best money spent on a trip of a Lifetime.

Last edited:
I had my first trip April 2021 with Nick Bowker Hunting in the Bedford area of South Africa. This area is about 2 hours drive north of Port Elizabeth. I did a package hunt for Cape Kudu, Black Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog, Springbuck, Blesbuck and Mountain Reedbuck, and added Nyala. Arrived on a Monday and left on the week following Friday to fly home. Thoroughly enjoyed my hunts there. The Eastern Cape is more open than further north so had to shoot a bit of distance and used Rudolph shooting sticks for every shot.
I'm going back for two weeks this summer for Sable, Gemsbuck, Waterbuck, Zebra, Red Hartebeest, Red Lechwe and Kudu plus Steenbuck and Duiker. Prices now on package deals are pretty good. Everyone should hunt Africa at least once IMO.

Attachments

• IMG-20210423-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20210423-WA0001.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 66
I am just starting to research an African hunt for 2025. Looking for some outfitter/ph recommendations. Thinking plains game for my first trip over there.

TIA
Take a look at Ballantyne safaris! I have been there and hunted with them! They are top notch people and will give you the best of care. They even do your laundry every day! The trophy quality is excellent. All around great food, hunting and staff!

Check out AfricaHunting.com, lots of articles reviewing different outfitters. And some decent pricing under Deals.
Also good info under Safari planning guide.
So much depends on what you are looking for, not only the species, but also the camp, ie traditional tent, 5 star, etc. Is high fenced OK? Big acreage high fence can be just as difficult as low fence.
Are you looking for a specific trophy, or just a first time Africa adventure?
Any particular country? Namibia probably lowest overall cost, but RSA high fenced managed probably better average trophies.
Best of luck and you will never regret an adventure in Africa although the logistics and costs can be a bit overwhelming. Example after the hunt, the taxidermy and shipping can cost as much as the hunt.
JME&O

Last edited:
There are tons of good places to hunt. One thing you need to understand about Africa is the landscape can really vary. You need to research the different areas and ask yourself what type of hunt am I imagining. If you hunt the Limpopo you can hunt flat sandy thorn brush country and then travel a little ways you can be in mountains. Very similar to the Texas hill country. If you hunt the Free State you can be on wide open grass plains and up in small tree covered hills very similar to Prescott Arizona. I have had great hunts with Lungile safaris in the Free State and great hunts with Limcroma in the Limpopo. I would not hesitate to hunt with either operation again. If you're a bow hunter Limcroma has a special camp just for now hunters and the owner Hannes Els is a really into bow hunting. Both of these operations hunt other locations as well.

Also know not all trophies are available everywhere. If you want Black Wildebeest, you have to hunt open country like the Karoo or the Free State. If you want Vaal Rhebok you need to hunt the East Cape Highlands which border the Great Karoo. If you want a great Sable Mias Steyn at lungiles can hook you up with a giant

TIA
In 2012 three buddies and myself hunted Africa. It was a trip of a lifetime!!! Ferdi van Zyl was head guide/owner, he is a very honest person. Absolutely no BS.

1652105794939.png