Looking for outfitter recommendations on hunting Africa.

Good morning and congratulations on deciding to hunt Africa. If I could afford it I would go every year. When I decided to book a hunt I decided to do some real homework and actually interview the owners and PH's. Being a guide myself I know the importance of this. I spent three years talking with different outfits at numerous sport shows. If I was going to shell out a big pile of cash for a trip of a lifetime I wanted folks I would want to spend a couple of weeks with. One thing I learned and would recommend is to find a outfitter that owns the land. Many lease large property's and change often so they don't know the ground that well. When I made the decision to hunt with Iliwa Safaris it was the best ever. It is family run and multiple generation owned property. The owners take you out, know every inch of ground and treat you like a member of the family. They also have many plains game animals and trophy quality as I harvested numerous "book" trophies. If you have a desire to hunt an animal they don't have trophy quality they are very connected with adjoining owners of large property.

I went the first time with my wife who is a non hunter and we had a great time and they also took us to numerous sites like Addo National elephant park. I had so much fun and saw so many other animals I wanted to hunt I book another trip alone two years later and hunted 14 days. If you have any questions we can PM.

Enjoy the search and the hunt.

Attachments

• 41CA62D1-5DCF-4117-9253-EA10B6DAFE23.jpeg
    41CA62D1-5DCF-4117-9253-EA10B6DAFE23.jpeg
    567.6 KB · Views: 59
  • FB9E9968-CA2A-4D1E-B6E8-DEE3A23F92DF.jpeg
    FB9E9968-CA2A-4D1E-B6E8-DEE3A23F92DF.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 57
  • CA356BC9-0E53-4C44-AB25-1E35CB4B0AC6.jpeg
    CA356BC9-0E53-4C44-AB25-1E35CB4B0AC6.jpeg
    571.6 KB · Views: 61
I am just starting to research an African hunt for 2025. Looking for some outfitter/ph recommendations. Thinking plains game for my first trip over there.

TIA
I have used Paul Brits Safaris for over 10 trips. Your part of the family and have never been disappointed. He goes the extra mile every time to get you your trophies. I am going back in 2023 for another buff.

John x Safaris. They support long range hunters. It is where the guys from Gunwerks go. Shooting past 1000 yards is a blast.

I have hunted in Africa twice, both times exciting and wonderful. Seriously consider joining the Safari Club, International and going to their convention in either late January or early February. There you will find perhaps 50 to 100 different African outfitters with whom you can talk about the varieties of game available, weather conditions, best time of year, best calibers and everything else you might want to know. Cost of joining is small, rewards of attending the Convention will be great. You will discover things you "must have" that never previously occurred to you.

In 2012 three buddies and myself hunted Africa. It was a trip of a lifetime!!! Ferdi van Zyl was head guide/owner, he is a very honest person. Absolutely no BS.

View attachment 364560
Between hunting location, we got to play with a few lion cubs.
1652176022804.png
1652176207795.png

I am just starting to research an African hunt for 2025. Looking for some outfitter/ph recommendations. Thinking plains game for my first trip over there.

TIA
I had a great time at game ranch transvaal in namibia. He is a low key average type guy. His place is on a cattle farm and he is a rancher too. Just to give you insight. I had a great time. I shot kudu, orxy, blue wildebeast, impala, springbok and a wart hog. My cousin that was with me shot kudu, oryx, zebra, red heartebeast, and a huge wart hog. We both want to go back there to hunt eland.

TIA
I just got back last night from my hunt. My wife and I went to Eland Safari www.elandsafaris.co.za
Johnny and Alex have been running hunts since 2006 and have roughly 12,000 acres to hunt. We did plans game and took everything we wanted.
From start to finish they had all the bases covered, their lodge is great, the ph's and trackers were top notice, equipment was like new and they are Boddington endorsed. My request to eat everything we shot was honored and I have a new found fondness for Wildbeast. We took our rifles, which proved seamless as they used Hunters Permits Africa to handle everything including meeting us at 3a.m. and walking us right through the process. They have a full questionnaire prior to departure and a 30 minute Q&A a month before which answered all our question.

My only caution is that if you take rifles take something larger than a 6.5 creedmoor. Not that its too small (I killed Kudo and Eland with it) it never provided an exit wound using both ELD-X and Sako Super Hammers and the small entrance hole just doesn't bleed enough. I took a chest shot with the Super Hammers on a Wildbeast at 200 yards the bullet took out the lungs and heart and landed in the stomach. It still ran 75 yards into the bush and had to be tracked. On a side note that bullet did all that damage, killed a Wildbeast with one shot and retained 90+% weight retention.

You wont regret this trip.

Hunted Namibia in 2013. Planning on going back again. Hunted with Erden Hunting. Plains game. PH was Boeta Van Heerden excellent hunt and accommodations. He is also a shooter/reloader getting into the long range game. Four of us went 29 trophies taken. Plains game. Then ocean fishing. Some photos of animals. Wart hog first animal taken on the dark continent old boy. My bucket list being filled. Nice Gemsbok as well. He also is a great guide for leopard my next hunt is for one of the spotted cats. Gets some beautiful animals. All trophies done in Namibia and then shipped to us. Very pleased with work of taxidermist as well.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
I have been twice and it really depends on what you are looking for. I have a friend that owns a 50000 free range ranch in South Africa that is Mountain Hunting for plains game at it finest. Its a very small operation but run extremely well. His prices are reasonable and he will take very good care of you. Waterval Safaris in Cradock SA. PM me and I can give you his information. It's a fair chase hunt and its a real hunt. You wont be driving up on these animals and shooting from the vehicle. Its spot and stalk, up early in the morning getting to a high vantage point and glassing for what you are looking for. I will be going back in 2025 as well for my third trip. If you are looking for a great hunting experience this is a great place to start, if your looking for 5 star accommodations with a chef that cooks three meals a day for you then this is not the place for you. my number is 406-396-7985 you can call me anytime and I can tell you what I know. Good Luck