Where to hunt a giant mule deer? Outfitter recommendations..

TX mountain hunter

My father in law has always wanted to shoot a giant mule deer. He would like to go on a hunt to have a high success rate on big mature mulies (180" or better). He realizes that this will probably require a high price on large piece of private land. His mobility is fair and he can do some walking, but probably no more than a mile or two in moderately difficult terrain.

Any idea what the Jicarilla Reservation tags go for?

Besides the Jicarilla, what else is out there?

Any info on the Powell 4A ranch or the Kessler Canyon ranch?

Mexico is not an option.

Jicarilla is a draw system, and tags are $15,000. 180+ is a non issue, they claim they average 200". Tribal members are able to hunt too, and kill some GIANTS. You said Mexico is not an option, I wouldn't reccomend it anyways as there are far fewer big bucks than everyone realizes, and it has been a slow few years lately anyhow. Colorado is a good bet. I have nothing specific but landowner tags can be had for a decent price, and there are several units that have giant bucks that can be drawn with just a few points. NV has some good areas with landowner tags from about $5,000 with big buck potential. UT has some auction tags, but those are all gone by now. I'd concentrate on CO though.

We had a bad winter in 2010 but the deer are rebounding very well. if you were to research outfitter in northern Alberta Canada you would have a great chance to kill some very nice bucks.

Good point. Canada has some private land hunts that yield some giants. Again, no specific info but research should be pretty easy.

The Ranching for Wildlife hunts in CO have scored some nice bucks. Kennedy Hunting Services does them.

Try applying for the Arizona Strip. That's the area between the Colorado river and the Utah state line, northwest of the Kaibab plateau. The most difficult part of the hunt is getting drawn. Southwest Utah, in the Hurricane Valley area is also very good for giant mule deer. Good luck!

The Heaton ranch in Southern Utah located within the paunsagaunt limited entry unit take a few B&C bucks every year.

Jim:):)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.