Looking for new 308 win

That's the rifle I've been trying to find or the older model with black stock can't seem to fine one any were here lately.and I've priced having the barely replaced on my remington 700 in 308 to carbon fiber wrap or a krieger and my local to me smith wants 1700 + to do so the remington I have shoots like your 5r with my handloads but it's so darn heavy to carry due to the stock mostly but it's nice to move a round with being 20inch barrel.ive shot 3 deer so far with it and I'm a die heart 308 fan but some reason this barrel is a slow barrel and it being 20inch already hurts the fpr area anyways.i have a 24 inch barrel savage model 11 varmint tatical that shoots just as well but it weighs just as much or more
If it's accurate but heavy stocked why not swap a stock? Personally I don't care if my .308 is fast or slow- if it puts those pills where I want them and it puts them down- I don't care.

That's the rifle I've been trying to find or the older model with black stock can't seem to fine one any were here lately.and I've priced having the barely replaced on my remington 700 in 308 to carbon fiber wrap or a krieger and my local to me smith wants 1700 + to do so the remington I have shoots like your 5r with my handloads but it's so darn heavy to carry due to the stock mostly but it's nice to move a round with being 20inch barrel.ive shot 3 deer so far with it and I'm a die heart 308 fan but some reason this barrel is a slow barrel and it being 20inch already hurts the fpr area anyways.i have a 24 inch barrel savage model 11 varmint tatical that shoots just as well but it weighs just as much or more
Why not just throw a remage barrel on it? You could run a heavy sporter or light varmint and that would get your weight down.

These are the latest couple groups I shot with a criterion remage set up on my Pierce action. This barrel cost me $375 bucks and I installed it in about 15 min.
20220702_161459.jpg

Last edited:
Samuel - I completely understand your desire to keep things simple, and the the 308 win is the easy button for sure. With the current prices of components and everything else, it really makes sense to stick with a proven deer cartridge. There are many good quality factory options out there that can put a smile on your face and give you the options for a lighter hunting rifle. My 308 is reasonably light at just under 8#. It has been the go to for deer hunting as it handles very well and shoots accurately for it's purpose. Custom or semi-custom is a great option, but it definitely introduces other complications.
09C3F25F-EFF1-4BCA-86F7-41BCCBD02564.jpeg

Why not just throw a remage barrel on it? You could run a heavy shorter or light varmint and that would get your weight down.

These are the latest couple groups I shot with a criterion remage set up on Mt Pierce action. This barrel cost me $375 bucks and I installed it in about 15 min. View attachment 378975
I've been looking into doing a remage set up but with carbon fiber barrel.with all the tools to do so it's around 1000 for every

Why not just throw a remage barrel on it? You could run a heavy shorter or light varmint and that would get your weight down.

These are the latest couple groups I shot with a criterion remage set up on Mt Pierce action. This barrel cost me $375 bucks and I installed it in about 15 min. View attachment 378975
Also would I have to buy another stock to do a remage set up with the barrel nut?

Yep that's correct I forgot about those
But it does give you a great deal of freedom with a Remington action.

If it were me and I wanted to start from the ground up on a bit of a budget I would start with a Mack Brothers Evo and go the RemAge route. You can even get it into your Remington Stock with a little work as stated above.

Of the original rifles you mentioned in your first post, I have the Springfield Waypoint in 6.5 CM. It's a 22 inch barrel. The 308 comes in a 20 inch barrel I think. Mine topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3x15-44 weighs about 8.5# Doesn't shoot bugholes but 1/2 to 3/4 easy with factory 143 eldx. Thought I'd give you my experience with one you mentioned.

My hunting buddy has the Springfield Waypoint carbon barrel in 308. I helped him zero the rifle and I was super impressed. We zeroed at 100 yards and then shot it out to 500 yards and it shot really well. I liked the way the action felt and it was pretty lite though I don't know the weight. For the price of the rifle I was very impressed.

Hello all I'm looking to buy a new 308 win rifle I've been looking at seekins havak ph2,christensen arms mesa long range,springfield Waypoint and christensen ridgeline.im open to other brands but havnt really looked into others at this time.i would like a 22 to 26 inch barrel on what ever i end up with.ive been looking for a remington 5r but cant find one.I would like to here some feed back from people who may have these models of rifles and the pros and cons of them.thanks
Get the Seekins
Great rifle and the best customer service out there