Looking for information on current groundhog situation ..Indiana and Ohio

RandyinVa

Would like to find others shooting LOONG off of benches with precision rifles. Mostly the NW corner of Ohio and the NW corner of Ohio. Beans or alfalfa. I am still doing it and wonder how many more dinosaurs there are!

Last edited:
Ha, I wish! I don't shoot 'em much over 500 yards - it's more "cramped" down here - but the groundhogs are disappearing fast in central OH.
I have a 'hog arsenal in chamberings from .20 to .243, but the rifles now mostly sit idle, except for a shot at the occasional coyote. I "ration" my chuck shooting now to nothing under 200 yards, and might bump that to 300. Looks like my "glory days" of groundhog hunting are over. Sad. :(

Ha, I wish! I don't shoot 'em much over 500 yards - it's more "cramped" down here - but the groundhogs are disappearing fast in central OH.
I have a 'hog arsenal in chamberings from .20 to .243, but the rifles now mostly sit idle, except for a shot at the occasional coyote. I "ration" my chuck shooting now to nothing under 200 yards, and might bump that to 300. Looks like my "glory days" of groundhog hunting are over. Sad. :(

Same here in Connecticut. Woodchuck shooting is my passion. When I moved here in 1980, the woodchucks were like lice on a stray dog.
I saw ONE last year, and none this year.
... and I sit with an arsenal of 10 woodchuck rifles, from 20 Tac to 6.5x64 Belted Nitro Express, and the two bestest in optical rangefinders (a Wild 80cm, and a Swedish Periscope).
This state sucks.
I am planning to be outta here next year

I agree groundhog numbers are down but I just finished my 58th year hunting them and shot 62, when I go out if I get only one I am happy but I usually get 2 or three. For me I would rather go out hunting groundhogs in the morning than sitting in a restaurant and hearing the same stories over and over again.
Drags

sma;;B&Srf.jpg
Same here in Connecticut. Woodchuck shooting is my passion. When I moved here in 1980, the woodchucks were like lice on a stray dog.
I saw ONE last year, and none this year.
... and I sit with an arsenal of 10 woodchuck rifles, from 20 Tac to 6.5x64 Belted Nitro Express, and the two bestest in optical rangefinders (a Wild 80cm, and a Swedish Periscope).
This state sucks.
I am planning to be outta here next year

Thanks Randy...

My Wild 80cm is a work of art. The olive drab paint was removed and it was completely overhauled. It is an exquisite design and workmanship and beauty shows through.

It has a beautiful (original) oak tripod with brass mount and fittings...

Wild-1_zpszvhuzsla.jpg

Wild-7_zpsauksy0jp.jpg

Wild-6_zpsdchy9jfk.jpg

Wild-2_zpsyjxo2oyn.jpg

The "Swedish Periscope" (which was new when I bought it), does not come with a tripod - it uses a single spigot (lower left item in both photos) to rest the unit on the ground, 'cuz it was designed for "hit-n-run" crews. It was designed to work both vertically and horizontally. So I want to make some kind of adapter cradle so I can use it on a tripod.

Swedish%20Periscope-a_zps0sdgjaiq.jpg

Swedish%20Periscope-2_zpsr1swaici.jpg

Thanks Randy...

My Wild 80cm is a work of art. The olive drab paint was removed and it was completely overhauled. It is an exquisite design and workmanship and beauty shows through.

Wild-1_zpszvhuzsla.jpg

Wild-7_zpsauksy0jp.jpg

Wild-6_zpsdchy9jfk.jpg

Wild-2_zpsyjxo2oyn.jpg

The "Swedish Periscope" (which was new when I bought it), does not come with a tripod - it uses a single spigot (lower left item in both photos) to rest the unit on the ground, 'cuz it was designed for "hit-n-run" crews. It was designed to work both vertically and horizontally. So I want to make some kind of adapter cradle so I can use it on a tripod.

If your disc shown has degrees on it, I would love to find one for myself ......

What I really would like is a degree disk with 360 degrees to input into phone software and to use for a partner to find a dead groundhog by spotting it by degree and distance recorded for the shot. Any ideas?

What I really would like is a degree disk with 360 degrees to input into phone software and to use for a partner to find a dead groundhog by spotting it by degree and distance recorded for the shot. Any ideas?

I don't mean this with any sarcasm, but make one?? If you have access to a lathe, or have a local machinist, you could have him make the plate, and make the markings.

Probable be in the $100 range. Or, you might make one out of 1/8th white plastic and drill/file it to fit over the winter??

The chances of ever finding one is less than "0".

I don't mean this with any sarcasm, but make one?? If you have access to a lathe, or have a local machinist, you could have him make the plate, and make the markings.

Probable be in the $100 range. Or, you might make one out of 1/8th white plastic and drill/file it to fit over the winter??

The chances of ever finding one is less than "0".

Actually I don't have access to machinist or lathe as I am living on the outer banks of NC which has nothing here unless aimed at the tourists!

Thanks Randy...

Wild-1_zpszvhuzsla.jpg

Wild-7_zpsauksy0jp.jpg

Wild-6_zpsdchy9jfk.jpg

Wild-2_zpsyjxo2oyn.jpg

The Wild rangefinder shown is in the original as issue condition, and I doubt very much it has ever been touched as for refurbishing.
The tripod setup is of coarse not original as they have a small table top tripod that clamps to the rangefinder which in turn attaches to a taller tripod in the original form. I have one with both the original tripod setup and a different setup similar to the one shown.
The other rangefinder is built by Knife, also a Swiss company but not nearly as user friendly as the Wild. I had one for awhile and had an adapter made for attaching it to a tripod. I believe I might still have the adapter if your interested. I also know of another Knife unit that is for sale if you know someone interested.
Hi Drags, ive been following along on the PA site but again I'm not smart enough to get logged back on. PM me if you will.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.