Groundhog Safari

I've hunted groundhogs in southern Virginia several years now and they're loaded with groundhogs but that's probably because that's prime deer country and coyote hunting is very popular too. They've also had a very wet year though and it's hard to find short alfalfa fields where you can see them.

The locals I've hunted with regularly take them with one shot out to 600 yards and I've seen a few thousand yard shots but nothing beyond 1150 yards yet.

About the only hunting I've seen that's as much fun as groundhog hunting is prairie dog hunting but it's SO hard not to burn your barrels out on prairie dogs. They're kind of like potato chips. You can't stop once you start and the barrel throats usually suffer... LOL

When we hunt groundhogs we are in rolling hills and alfalfa fields and we just park on top of a hill and shoot off the hood of a pickup with Bulls
Bags. Calibers run from 223, 243, 6mm, 7SAUM, 300 Ultra Mag and up to an 8mm. It's more fun than the law allows and it will improve your shooting skills. We have never used a wind meter and just this year they got ballistics programs for their iPhones. I always just printed drop charts up to now.

Coyotes always get first priority when they show up but there aren't that many because there is a lot of cattle production in that area too and the farmers are pretty aggressive in their eradication.

I love to hunt big game but it's simply more fun to shoot groundhogs if you love to shoot a rifle long distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts