Looking for information on current groundhog situation ..Indiana and Ohio

After rechecking, it could be I was wrong in my original assessment of the Wild tripod. Mine however is different in that it has no round disk with the degree markings, and the smaller connecting tripod is also different.
My unit is dated in the early 70s as for manufacture date.
The larger tripod shown has been refinished as they were painted o d green, but the unit itself were exactly as shown in the pic with the brown leather covering and the metal parts painted o d.
The Barr & Stroud units work the same as the Wild, but overall not quite the same in quality as the Wild.
As for walking to the dead animal by using a compass bearing, you could just use a hand held binocular with a built in compass like in the marine units for getting a bearing on the target.
You could also place a hand compass on the gun pointed at the animal for that information. Problem is walking a straight coarse to the animal without having to deviate from it.
Best bet is walkie talkies and a buddy directing you from where you shot.

You could use pretty much any tripod, but would need to create a connection for the rangefinder to attach to it.
Don't over think the design, as the rangefinder itself has the ability to pan up or down.
Id be removing the entire head assembly from the tripod and then get a section of round aluminum stock about 6 long.
It will take some machine work but essentially round the top off slightly, and then create about a 1 1/2" high flat spot on one side with a hole tapped for a 1/4x20 bolt with a knob on it you can get at any good hardware store. There is a U shaped notch on the attachment part of the rangefinder which will slip onto the 1/4" bolt.
Add a flat washer to the bolt to snug up against the notch area but don't tighten the bolt down hard. just enough to hold it but still allow for some movement.
The top part of it will be bigger in diameter than the part that fits into the tripod hole, thus creating a stop so it rides on the top of the tripod when you traverse the unit. You can also create a groove in the piece so that it lines up with the tripod knob that stops the original head from rotating. That will hold the whole thing in the tripod and allow for locking it up on an object your ranging.
The method described is very similar to the design found on the original issue tripod.
I would strongly advise using a very good quality tripod as opposed to some cheap one. Also one having the ability to spread out the legs, especially if your going to be standing while using it.

Would like to find others shooting LOONG off of benches with precision rifles. Mostly the NW corner of Ohio and the NW corner of Ohio. Beans or alfalfa. I am still doing it and wonder how many more dinosaurs there are!

I retire in 3-days, and bought a Cooper-21 in 25-06AI in preparation to whack some chucks at long range. A 6.5-20 scope is on the way, I just need a bench.

Would like to find others shooting LOONG off of benches with precision rifles. Mostly the NW corner of Ohio and the NW corner of Ohio. Beans or alfalfa. I am still doing it and wonder how many more dinosaurs there are!

This should have read NW Ohio and NE Indiana. Have found only one other gh shooter in all of Indiana. Are things that tough there for groundhogs?

I should be starting in NE Indiana on about June 10. Will be trying to shoot as long as I can find.

Ha, I wish! I don't shoot 'em much over 500 yards - it's more "cramped" down here - but the groundhogs are disappearing fast in central OH.
I have a 'hog arsenal in chamberings from .20 to .243, but the rifles now mostly sit idle, except for a shot at the occasional coyote. I "ration" my chuck shooting now to nothing under 200 yards, and might bump that to 300. Looks like my "glory days" of groundhog hunting are over. Sad. :(

I feel your pain. I think the Coyotes are getting them all. I hunt central Ohio too and it is getting to the point that me and my buddie steel prairie dog target with us when we go groundhog hunting. Shoot one maybe two groundhogs then plink at the steel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.