looking for ideas for moving large quantities of ammo, powder and primers.

Dhammer

Were moving across county. IL to AZ. Movers won't haul the ammo n such. I know if I box it myself they'll take it but if anything were to happen I'm out a lot of money and premium ammo, I cant replace. Not to mention the liability on my end. I have a Tacoma Double cab with 6 foot bed so space isn't an issue. I had a Best Top pop up for the bed. Its pretty much garbage at this point. Best Top's warranty/customer service is a joke. Awesome idea that was poorely excuted with cheap materials and poor fit because of design flaws. I've got to haul our atv's with the trailer so that ends the getting a u haul and using that. Mama informed I'm taking the dogs with me she. She wants them to ride in the cab not dog carriers. My big dog, her baby is getting up there in age so probably best for her in cab anyways. Not going to deal with mams s raith on that one. She hasn't said no to my Bridgeport mill and surface grinder and other equipment comming and I know that's going to be a hefty bill which she's pointed out. Hahaha.
The ammo has got to go in the bed and looking for ideas to keep it dry. I'm going to have to stop and then the whole issue is now unloading it too so it doesnt get stolen overnight. I've got spinal damage and that severely restricts what I can lift. Under 50lbs. If my issues get bad from all the driving/sitting could be far under 50lbs too. I've got a few hundred lbs in ammo easy. Then add primers n powder in mix so I'll need something that would be a good waterproof box for them too.

I would check into weather gaurd truck boxes they are dry and built like a safe you may have to bolt it to your bed but it would work

Id like to point out NFPA Guidelines on smokeless propellents.

13-3 SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS
13-3.1 Quantities of smokeless propellants not exceeding 25 lb (11.3 kg), in shipping containers approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation, shall be permitted to be transported in a private vehicle.
13-3.2 Quantities of smokeless propellants exceeding 25 lb (11.3 kg) but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), transported in a private vehicle, shall be transported in a portable magazine having wood walls of at least 1 in. (25.4 mm) nominal thickness.
13-3.3 Transportation of more than 50 lb (22.7 kg) of smokeless propellants in a private vehicle shall be prohibited.

I would think some states or municipalities will hold you to following these guidelines. So I would at least choose a container that displays a reasonable amount of care.

I would suggest a lockable steel jobox that has a place for recessed padlocks that can't be cut off. Bolt it to the bed of the truck so it can't be easily stolen. Fill it with ammo cans, cardboard boxes etc. providing a buffer between primers and powder.

I would split up the cargo let your wife carry bullets primers,ammo and you haul the powder then if its stolen you only lose half of your stuff

Unless you have a large sign on the side of your vehicle proclaiming "Reloading components inside, help yourself", the chances are pretty slim that anyone will pilfer anything unless you stop and stay on the seedy side of a town when you stop and have loose lips......

We have driven cross country numerous times for hunts with rifles and gear and ammunition worth a gob stowed in our van or our Suburban and never had one issue, ever. We stop and decent places (motels) to sleep and park the vehicle where we can see it out the window. We never tell anyone whats inside the vehicle but I'm pretty sure the motel clerk knows we are hunters by our clothes.....

Heck, one time we were coming back from the Yukon towing a trailer with a generator keeping the meat on ice. Pretty obvious what we were doing and it wasn't a family camping trip...

I think some on here are paranoid.

If you are really concerned (and you shouldn't be actually), ship the powder and primers with a commercial carrier like Roadway or Holland Motor Freight or Old Dominion. They will handle the stuff. Must be labelled 'ORM D" Explosive, Ammunition but they will do it. ICC regulations for commercial carriers are less than 5000 pounds don't need to be placarded. If you have over 5000 pounds, you need to sell some......

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts