Storage for ammo, primers and powder

kai

I live in the tropics and have been storing ammo, primers and powder on a shelf in my house that doesn't have any climate control and recently got a new large save with a heating rod dehumidifier.

Is it dangerous to put ammo and primers in the dehumidified (internally heated) safe?
Or is it better to just leave it in the house on a shelf?

I'd like to secure my ammo someplace and trying to decide what would be best for ammo and for the primers and power.

I can't provide any hard 'empirical' data to answer your question, but I have some pretty wide temp variations in my house due to use of a wood-stove only in the winter and AC in the summer. The only thing I really try to 'protect' is my primers. I vacuum-seal the bricks (package and all) I'm not yet using and just keep the ones I am currently using in a tupperware container. Everything else just sits in it's original container on my shelves.

multiple threads on this

FWIW: I have had a 'golden rod' dehumidifier in my safes for over 30 years and they do not generate enough heat that the safe and contents feel warm....touching the rod you can feel it is warm but not hot.
However, I would believe that if you have a lot of gunpowder and primers in a tight safe and you have a house fire you might have made a 'bomb' when the temperature in the safe gets high enough to ignite either of the two components.
Anyone else have any thoughts or experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.