firearm storage.

gohring3006

I have a couple of cheap plastic gun cases with the foam liners some times I leave for extended periods how long do you think I can store my guns in those cases I thought about spraying the foam with a water displacement oil....

G, get a safe. There are electric or silica dehumidifiers that can be installed. The foam lined cases are not a good idea for storage of firearms not to mention the overall safety of your firearms being secure. I have seen very inexpensive safes at Wally-world and even Home Depot. Here in Az the air is very dry, but in humid areas try putting a stick-on rubberized weather strip around the door of the safe. More children die every year from firearms left out not to mention stolen due to not being secured in a safe. Just my opinion.

I have a safe I take my guns with me but might not take them out for days thought this was MSNBC website on gun statistics I have been a responsible gun owner since I was a young child I had my 410 shotgun hanging in my bedroom when I was 7 years old..

Probably just depends on the environment. Biggest problem is they don't breath. If you bring a rifle inside from a cold humid environment and put it in the case, that could be an issue since the water vapor in the warm environment will condense on the cold steel.

Maybe if you just drilled several holes in one side of the case?

Probably just depends on the environment. Biggest problem is they don't breath. If you bring a rifle inside from a cold humid environment and put it in the case, that could be an issue since the water vapor in the warm environment will condense on the cold steel.

Maybe if you just drilled several holes in one side of the case?

Drilling the holes is a good idea never thought of that I was thinking about those silica packs you see in packaged items but don't know where I could find them

Believe it or not, they make silica kitty litter. It is the same stuff you get in those little bags with scopes but lots cheaper. I use it in my camper in the winter to absorb moisture. Another great thing about it is once it has collected moister, you can dry it out in the oven and use it again! Just put some in some loose cloth bags in the gun case and things might be good to go.

Here's a link to some at Walmart. Lots of different brands out there.
Get Mimi Litter: Cat Litter at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

The risk of guns becoming damaged in storaqe, long or short term, depends on a lot of things and environmental conditions may be the most troubling of possibilities. My friend stored some very nice rifles in cases under a bed for a season. When he next looked at them they were encrusted with rust and were never the same. Humidity, temperature, type of material they're wrapped in (foam lined cases are not a good idea) and whether they're sealed or open to the air are just a few things to consider. The only general rule I've found to be most successful is to store them in a safe or other type of enclosure with dehumidifier(s) that are regularly serviced (reset) and enough open air space around them for good air circulation. All of that within a stable temperature environment (a basement or garage where temperature variations can be significant is not a good idea).
A good wipe down of all metal surfaces with a quality penetrating oil never hurts either.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.