Call up Eastern and ask them the questions. I think you'll like their answers

Laura Sewall CIC, CISR
Account Manager II
Historic Firearms Ins. Program
Eastern Insurance Group LLC
933 Webster Street, Marshfield, MA 02050

Phone: 800-545-9326 (X59177)
Fax: 508-652-4392

Give Mrs Laura a call and you will be very happy you did. And yes you will like the answers to your questions. Yes they cover scopes and all even if you drop it. Includes up to $5000 in reloading and ammo

Thanks

Buck

Another vote for Eastern. You are getting ripped off if you are paying over $400 for less than $40k. Eastern doesn't require serial numbers for any single item valued at less than $10k and also includes $5k for reloading and ammo as mentioned above.

You also get a discount with Eastern if you are a member of the NRA. I think it is 5% but everything helps. There also might be other discounts based on other orgs that might be worth asking about.

I've been a member for a while seldom posting mainly just reading and soaking in all of the knowledge on this site. I've tried finding an answer to this with no avail. What do most of y'all do for added insurance for your firearms. My insurance covers on my regular homeowners policy up to $5000. I added a rider that added another $8000 for a few dollars a year. As the years went by and I started having some custom rifles I sat down and went to figuring the cost of replacement so I talked with my insurance Alfa and wrote down 6 guns with a value of $21,000. The cost was a little over $425 a year for just these 6 from a different company that Alfa used. After about 5 months they cancelled my policy because the firearms serial numbers along with scope serial numbers were written on a piece of paper instead of a letterhead. My builder doesn't have a letterhead so I took his logo and made one and sent to my agent and haven't heard anything back. Sorry for the long post and thank you.
I bought a safe and called it good, when I looked into it 25 yrs ago I thought it was to high if you have many guns. When i filled that one up I bought another

Safes are a good alternative. Most safes are not waterproof. Was told by a fireman to put them on exterior walls of your home. The heat build up is not as intense. Lost house to a fire Jan 2019 safes were in garage no heat damage but both safes were full of water. Gun had already started rusting by the next morning and wood stocks were showing discoloration. Knowing what I Know now about insurance now some are good, some are ok and some are the pits. Just understand your policy from from front to back and all the little tiny print that you will need magnifying to see. Insurance companies will tell you anything to get your $$$$.

You know your best bet is to have an independent insurance agent whom you know well who is on your side; they will know which companies will stand behind their policies and which won't. Times change. I remember after Katrina our agent made some changes in our homeowner's policies as those companies hit hard got stingier with what they covered. I realize this is harder in big cities.

Insurance is insurance, always read the fine print-- 99% of the time you will always loose $ over the long run when it comes to insurance. It's all about trading $ for chance

watch the small print too, some insurance policies dont cover water or fire, only theft--if you want added protection from theft, build a hidden room for your gun safes---gun safes usually wont protect your firearms from fires even if they are fire rated-- old boss had a house fire, he had fire rated gun safes-- all guns were ruined inside of the safes--and insurance only paid a partial payout after depreciation and deductible (obviously not the best policy)--in the long run, most firearms can be replaced ad they are just "things" --keep that family safe

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.