Firearm insurance when Traveling

brif

Not sure to put this, so I will try here. For about the last 13yrs, I have been been going out west to shoot prairie dogs. I have often wondered what would happen if the unthinkable would happen and someone would steal our firearms and gear. When you have several people with 4-5 guns each; this could add up to a lot of money.

Does anyone offer a stand alone policy for something like this? I'm not sure if my auto policy would cover the value of everyone's stuff. At the same time; I don't think I should be solely responsible for having to cover the entire cost myself if we were to get a stand alone policy. I want to protect myself, but since we always have to take my vehicle its already costing me more than everyone else.

Any comments on this?

Your auto policy WILL NOT cover personal items in the vehicle. The best way to go is an inland marine policy. You can list the ones you want covered for roughly $2/hundred, and they are covered for all types of loss. Zero deductible, unlike your homeowner's policy, and much better coverage.

Each of you should carry one on your own items, as most insurers won't insure property you do not own. The nice part about an inland marine policy is it is designed for portability. At home or hunting, the property is covered.

You can add cameras, optics, jewelry, and many other types of property that has a tendency to "disappear".

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.