Looking for experience with 300wsm or 300 Win.

The last person to post in the thread Feenix posted about is who I was talking with about the two options. His name is Matt and he shoots and recommends the WSM as you call tell by his post.

I'm a big fan of the .300 Win Mag (I have 3) but have to admit I'm enjoying my 1st short mag ever in .300 WSM. My current accuracy load is 2750 FPS with 215 Bergers.

This might boil down to personal choice too. In short, they are both excellent chamberings but I still give the .300 Win Mag the edge.

Good luck!

Comes down to personal preference, but I would choose WM. I have two WM and one WSM and finding brass for the WSM very difficult.

Yep!

the 300wsm 300 win mag have been a toss up for me as well. reading about the 7mm-300 it has my interest also. this post mentioned the 30 nosler. will be interesting to see if it comes out. the op's question have been similar to mine and still have no answer other than try both........

This is all some great info. But I thought I would also through a couple of other cartridges into the mix. What about the 308 Norma Magnum, 300 Weathergy, and a 300 SAUM. Please give the pros and cons please.

Brian

I have build (2)300 WSM,(2)300 Mag,300 Wby,300 RUM,30-378Wby and (3) 30-338mag. I don't compare and I build them to hunt with.

Only thing I didn't like about WSM action is that's all you can build on that action and magazine is limited. You take Berger 210gr VLD hunting bullet it's 1.459" long and nose length is .729" and base to ogive is .730" and case length is 2.100".

I'd also build 270WSM and I passed on building any more and that's reason I had 284 build long action and I build 270Wby on one action I used for 30-338mag. My nephew doesn't shoot lot so I gave him WSM's and one 300mag.

I carry pack hunting so cutting 1/2 or even 1lb isn't a big deal and I normally hunt around 10K elk and deer.

I'm not going to say I made a mistake building the WSM and maybe if those were only ones I hunted with might have kept them. I might add I'm 73 and I haven't slowed down.

Well good luck

From OP initial post:
My question is what would be better for accuracy, barrel life, velocity, and the one with possibly less recoil.

Grey, It really comes down to this.

300 WSM - Better accuracy (potential), barrel life, and less recoil with similar weight rifle and bullet weights.
300 Mag. - Better velocity with bullet weights over 180 Gr.

My elk rifle is a Sako 75 300 WSM. I love this rifle. It's very accurate and was easy to develop loads for many different bullets. It's an extremely efficient caliber and velocities are essentially the same as the Winmag but uses less powder. Case life is great too. It shines shooting 150-180 gr bullets and likes ball powders the best. I've had no issue developing a 200 gr load for it too. All of my hand loads are sub moa and I have a couple that are 1/4 moa. The short action makes it a lighter rifle which I really appreciate when hiking up and down mountains at high elevation chasing elk. I really noticed the weight difference compared to my 7mm STW when I had a scope issue on the WSM and changed over to the STW. The STW felt like an anchor compared to the WSM.
Honestly, they're both great calibers, so you can't go wrong here. If you want more firepower, look at the 300 RUM or move up to a 340 Weatherby

With each of the cartridges used in a given rifle shape and weight and equal accuracy as proved testing them in a machine rest, the one with the least recoil will be the easiest to shoot precisely with.

The more recoil a rifle has while the bullet goes through the barrel, the more the muzzle axis will move off from where it pointed when the firing pin fired the round and it started building up pressure that pushes the bullet through the bore. While all that happens in less than .002" second, it's enough.

The rifle weight will be 7lbs 4oz. I have narrowed the calliber choices to 300 wsm or a 300 Winchester Magnum. I will be using a standard LA center feed box and follower from Wyatt's outdoors. With the use of a Schneider 5p finished at 26". I understand with these barrels people see and increase of 50-100 fps over single point cut rifle barrels.

Brian

The rifle weight will be 7lbs 4oz. I have narrowed the calliber choices to 300 wsm or a 300 Winchester Magnum. I will be using a standard LA center feed box and follower from Wyatt's outdoors. With the use of a Schneider 5p finished at 26". I understand with these barrels people see and increase of 50-100 fps over single point cut rifle barrels.

Brian

Brian, braise yourself, it's about to get interesting :rolleyes: ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/LG8308AMudI?t=3[/ame]

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.