NEW to 300wsm looking for help

BHC

I wanted to ask the forum members who have access to load data for some help with my 300 WSM reloading. I have:

Shilen 24" with a 1:12 twist
I am going to try and shoot the heaviest bullet my gun will stabilize at distance.
Components I have access to are:
CCI250 primers
H4831sc
VV N560, my preferred
208 AMAX
185 VLD
190 VLD
other interests for bullets are Accubond 180 or 200

Goals are a mix of accuracy and velocity. I'll give up a small amount of accuracy for more velocity.

I'll be shooting in the 500 - 750 yd range at North American big game animals.

Just asking if anyone is willing to share some load data, or look some up, for the powders and bullets above. Also, any advice on different powders for velocity are welcome. I've read on here a lot of fans for RL 22 and RL 17. I just worry about temperature sensitivity and maybe you guys know how to offset that. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

It is my belief that:

You will struggle with the 208 A-Max. Put this in the might work category.
The 185 VLD/Hunting VLD should be fine
The 190 VLD should be fine.
Nosler 180s should hit very hard....

.300 WSM @ www.reloadersnest.com

Hogdgon site can provide some help against the 180 Nosler and 190 Sierra.

Alliant has pages on their powders.

I have a 10 tw with 208s but....

BHC, loaded my hunting pal's 300WSM with 185 Bergers, H4350, 215M primers and adjusted the seating. It shoots sub-MOA all day @ 200-300. No temp differences and the ES is less than 10. Berger's site suggests 1-12 twist for the 185's. Good luck

It is my belief that:

You will struggle with the 208 A-Max. Put this in the might work category.
The 185 VLD/Hunting VLD should be fine
The 190 VLD should be fine.
Nosler 180s should hit very hard....

.300 WSM @ www.reloadersnest.com

Hogdgon site can provide some help against the 180 Nosler and 190 Sierra.

Alliant has pages on their powders.

I have a 10 tw with 208s but....

Thanks to everyone for the direction. I shot several groups of 208 AMAX and 185 VLD. The 208 AMAX was about 1/2MOA at 100yds with VV560 and just a bit over 1/2MOA with H4831sc, both liked 20 thsnds off the lands.

The 185 VLD did poor with the VV560. However, the 185 VLD with the H4831sc shot about 1/4MOA at 100yds at 20 thsnds off the lands. I ran this same load up to 70.5 gr with no sign of pressure.

Basically, I will be developing this load for velocity and accuracy. I don't think I will know much about the 208 AMAX, as far as stability, until I stretch it out further.

I'll keep the 180 AB and 200 AB on the back burner for now. Maybe I can get my hands on their 190 LR AB one day.

As long as it is the Hunting VLD, I would use them. I have had great luck with hunting VLD's and killing. Almost all the 1000 yard BR guys use H 4350. The 208 should not stabilize in a 12 twist. Matt

I've worked with quite a few WSM's and SAUM's.....the vast majority shot their best groups with H-4350 and that was with just about any you wanted to sit on top of the case... That bullet, the berger would more than capable of taking any deer/elk at the ranges you listed without much of a problem...if you can't find the bergers anywhere just try the sierra's mlk's...I haven't noticed that much difference between the two and you'll save a couple of bucks.

Thank you again for the info. Can anyone speak to the velocity they are getting? I will have to try some H 4350 as this seems to be the powder for accuracy, though I know each barrel harmonic is unique. I have to be careful to balance accuracy with velocity as I will not be shooting paper or metal targets. My goal is to keep the bullet, 185 VLD, moving at least 1800 fps and 1400+ ft pds of energy at 1000yds, not that I would should that far unless in ideal conditions. My ballistics calc says I need an initial muzzle velocity of about 3075 fps to meet the terminal ballistics mentioned above. What kinds of MV are people getting with the H4350?, obviously charge dependent but looking for feedback on anyone's experience with loads pushing the 185 VLD greater than 3075 fps. Thanks in advance for any feedback

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.