Looking For Coyote Hunting Info What Cal do you Use

redbone

Looking for Coyote Hunting Info.

1 What Cal do you use when hunting Coyote ?

I use 22 250 243 7 mm stw For Long range if they are hangup

2 What Yard do you shoot most of the time ?

80 % under 100 yards

3 what state do you coyote Hunt in ?

Most of my Hunting is in the Hill of the Ozarks Mountions in nw Ark ne Oklahoma .. an west Oklahoma Arkansas River Bottoms Flat Land .

4 What do you use to for Sent Cover ?

I am looking to see how you hunt coyote .

Thanks Guys

Redbone

I am new at coyote hunting but have shot many woodchucks useing a 22mag, 223, and 6mm remington. I moved from a farming community to the stste game area so I thought I would hunt the coyotes. I live in sw lower mi. Daniel

Fox-pro, assorted mouth calls.

.223,.243AI

WI, NE, ND.

Play the wind no cover sent.

1 What Cal do you use when hunting Coyote ?

17hmr, 204, 243, 7rm mg, bow and arrow.

2 What Yard do you shoot most of the time ?

80 % over 100 yards

3 what state do you coyote Hunt in ?

New Mexico. Hunt mostly outside of Roswell, and some close to Cuba when I'm visiting in Albuquerque.

4 What do you use to for Sent Cover ?
Any type of scent eliminator. I havent used any kind of urine but I'm fixing to give it a try. Ive had great success without it, but I figured what the hey.

let my daughter do the calling. Have dancing rabbit but never used it

I use 22-243

around 300 yards

nw oklahoma in harper co. mostly

no scent cover

22-250 with a 55 gr. Sierra #1365 SBT

I call them in close........80% under 100 yards.

Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arizona

Cover scent is a waste of time, IMHO. You can't beat their nose. Work the wind.

I use both hand calls and an elctronic caller, FOXPRO.

Good Hunting,

Bob

22-250, 223, & 220 swift.

once again, no cover scent, YOU CANT BEAT THEIR NOSE, play the wind.

80% under 150 yds.
fully camoflauged is an absolute must.

Western & Central Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Kansas.

All mouth calls.

Best day ever = 1/13/07 3 of us, miserably cold (wind chill -5 and snow on the ground), needless to say they were very hungry.
Called in 17 yotes and 3 cats, killed 11 and 2. = Simply Awesome.

Scent cover

Interesting about the non use of scent cover (I use scent eliminator). Around here the coyotes only come in down wind. You get the odd young pup that doesn't know any better, but most mature dogs will not let you use the wind.

Matter of fact, when I lived in Corpus and hunted that area they were so thick you didn't need cover scent. New Mexico hunting is much easier with cover scent. I have had dogs come in close down wind with scent eliminator but without it I'd be SOL.

My main gun is a Striker in 22-250 with an occasional hunt with my 223 RRA. Those long guns are heavy. ;-)
I use custom calls about 95% of the time gave up on using an ecaller. I like to keep it light and easy to move around.
I hunt wooded areas in WI in the SE (state forest) and E central WI (national forest).
Most are under 100 yds. SO far from 30 yds to 248.
My favorite hunting ;-)))

Mike

YoteFever, Tell me alittle bit about your Savage Striker hunting for coyotes. I have a 22-250 striker, too . Do you hunt off of sticks or a tall Bi-pod? Do you use a pistol scope or a rifle scope on it? Do you have an aftermarket trigger, we've tried adjusting the factory one, blaahh.

I got it from another silhouette shooter and he had a rifle basix kit that I installed, still not real happy with it.
I just put a McGowen 15" flutted barrel with a 9 twist. I just made it to the range with it and it looks like the 75g Amax worked the best. Will be headed 'up north' to test it out on live critters.
I use sticks with a Lupy rifle scope and it works great out to 248 yds so far.

Mike

Thanks, that sounds fun. I tried to eye up on a running coyote once with mine, but it has a pistol scope. Not much F.O.V there. I wished I had a 1-9" on mine, way more versitile. Merry Christmas

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.