What kind of rest do you use?

WestKYShooter

I'm looking for suggestions for coyote hunting.... Do you use a tall bipod? Shooting sticks? a tripod? What brand/size do you recommend for ground setups on mostly level ground?

I have tried shooting sticks, Primos tripod, Caldwell, and the tall Harris bipod. I continue to use the Harris. I also tried it with the swivel head. Did not like the swivel. If I was not going to walk very far and I new the chance of having to shoot over 300 I would pick the Caldwell. It is a tripod and is HEAVY. It holds the front and rear of the rifle and gives you a steadier hold.

To answer your question. Both sticks and Bi pod. Install the tallest bi pod Harris makes on your rifle and use it where you need it. If it is to short on certain circumstances then fold it up and hang your rifle over the sticks. To steady up your sticks flip down one of the bi pod legs (still retracted) and hold on to it and the stick with your forearm hand. It will help with for and aft movement. Leave your tripod home. But don't forget your shotgun, it goes on every stand with me too. Hope this helps.

You are correct. Check out the Thread ,Coyote Shotgun Ammo and choke test. Plus adding a EO Tech is top shelf. Please take the time to pattern your ammo and shotgun. It makes a big difference. You will know whether it shoots right or left, high or low. Plus give you a good idea as to your max range.

WestKYShooter you would right. Shotgun for close cover and the one that runs you over! See my post on Coyote shotgun ammo test thread for what i use.

We use BOG PODS. I have used several shooting sticks and bipods but the versatility of the BOG POD is why I continue to fall back to it and use it. I have several Harris Bi-pods as well and they have there place and work great. Take a look at them it is something to consider...

I use the old Harris that's just smaller than the tall one since I'm short. But I also use a customized soft-sided stadium seat that provides for excellent back support for sitting shots. I never leave home without it.

I usually have a tall bipod and primos trigger stick tripod. For me this pretty much covers any setup position I encounter.

The reason I like the Harris over sticks, Primos, or Bog is that it is attached. Therefore, it is easy and fast to swing and reset when necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.